Planted Tanks vs Planted Aquascaping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aqua_chem

Aquarium Advice Addict
For all intensive purposes, is there any difference between these two forums? It seems like either there is very little separating them criteria wise, or the forums are simply not well enforced. To me, "Planted Tanks" is more of a general topic, where things like ferts, lights, substrate, plant IDs, etc can be discussed, whereas "Planted Aquascaping" would focus more on discussions about actual tanks/tank logs, plant choices, and general aesthetics. But when I look at these forums and the topics that are in them, I see questions about bulbs, ferts, and CO2 in the aquascaping forum and logs, tank shots, and even stocking advice (???) in planted tank section.

I feel that these forums have become a hodgepodge of posts without a clear purpose. I'm don't want to just 'pass the buck' onto the moderators, but some more enforcement might be nice. At the very least, a very clear sticky about what each forum is for might be nice. The only such indication that I found was in the aquascaping forum sticky, saying "This sub forum is a place to post pictures, get ideas, and ask questions about achieving that beautiful aquascape."

I guess more than anything, I'm just not sure where the boundaries lie.

Ciao :cool:

These forums are a hodge podge of everything. There are probably questions asked that have already been answered before but they keep being asked. It's unrealistic to enforce in these types of forums because of the volume, so I would just let it be like plants-you may want to grow faster, slower, or a certain way but it's beyond your control.

HappyFit said:
These forums are a hodge podge of everything. There are probably questions asked that have already been answered before but they keep being asked. It's unrealistic to enforce in these types of forums because of the volume, so I would just let it be like plants-you may want to grow faster, slower, or a certain way but it's beyond your control.

The problem is not what is asked, but where it is asked. And the moderators do work hard to maintain that order.

I'm in agreement with you on what I think they both should have... that said, it's very very hard for people to make the decision on which to post in. It's very difficult to get people to read stickies... heck, it seems most don't even read the rules. I think it's really up to the OP to decide where they want to post their question, since it's not blatantly clear which is which... and what each one is for.

It's not unrealistic to ask for people to follow the rules, there just isn't really a clear line on that.

mfdrookie516 said:
I'm in agreement with you on what I think they both should have... that said, it's very very hard for people to make the decision on which to post in. It's very difficult to get people to read stickies... heck, it seems most don't even read the rules. I think it's really up to the OP to decide where they want to post their question, since it's not blatantly clear which is which... and what each one is for.

It's not unrealistic to ask for people to follow the rules, there just isn't really a clear line on that.

"Herding Cats"

I think explicit stickies would be a good starting place, which would create at least some self policing. I think you're talking right when you say that there's a lack of clear lines on the matter. Having more explicit descriptions under the forum link in the freshwater section might help direct traffic. Planted tanks is especially nonspecific as it is.

aqua_chem said:
The problem is not what is asked, but where it is asked. And the moderators do work hard to maintain that order.

Just saying as an example that everything can't be in perfect order. Some order is nice but perfection itself is hardly achievable in anything you do-unless you will be the only judge to that.

I have had posts moved by the moderators in this and other forums due to the fact that I didn't realize there was a specific forum for a question I was asking. Or I just wasn't paying close enough attention. I do read stickies, I research, and consider myself an intelligent person. But after 13-14 hours of work, I come home, eat dinner, play with the kids, read them a book, pick up the house, sometimes do a water change, feed the cats, maybe clean out the hamsters cage, Then I finally get to kick back on my couch, watch a little TV, read a book, surf the net, check the forums... and well I might be a little sleep deprived and overlook the right forum to put my post in :) So I say thanks to the mods for keeping me straight :D

EDIT * now that I have the aquarium advice app, I can also check it at work and well, wherever I am at.. which is bad, because it is even easier for me to post in the wrong spot....

There are still too many people who can't navigate through this forum. Keep it as simple as possible for the majority.

I think the modifier "planted" should be removed on "planted aquascaping." Planted aquascaping is a subset of planted tanks where as aquascaping and planted tanks are two overlapping, not nested sets.

I.e. aquascaping has to do with general aesthetics with or without plants whereas planted tanks encompasses the aesthetics of a planted tank and the care of said tank.

i always figured "Planted Aquascaping" was just plants, no fish.... While "Planted Tanks" would be fish/plant tanks.

"Aquascaping" is just underwater landscaping, or in other words a "Garden in a Tank"in my opinion but im probably wrong.... Would make sence tho.

Yeah I thought that too, aquascaping would be making the tank look cool, background, foreground plants, landscaping underwater!
Planted tanks would be help with plants and anything plant related, I guess the title is misleading?

Crepe said:
I think the modifier "planted" should be removed on "planted aquascaping." Planted aquascaping is a subset of planted tanks where as aquascaping and planted tanks are two overlapping, not nested sets.

I.e. aquascaping has to do with general aesthetics with or without plants whereas planted tanks encompasses the aesthetics of a planted tank and the care of said tank.

Not that it is much of my business but I do agree. I dont use live plants in my tank but would love to talk about how to improve my aquascaping. But feel I have nowhere to post my thread.

Crepe you make a very good point, not all aquascaping is Plants, just like not all landscaping is only grass. after reading what you say, it makes prefect sense! :p

I would support such a change.

Back
Top Bottom