Planted Vs. Corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll say it how it was said to me a freshwater planted tank can look anyway you want it to. So so so many different ways to look. Saltwater.... It's always sand rock corals fish. The rock turns purple and the sand is beige lol. Sure the fish and corals give you color but there is only so many of each everyone has and it's easier to flush a five dollar fish throw away a 10 dollar plant than it is to flush a 20- 50 dollar fish and the same for coral.... DIRT PLANTED ALL THE WAY. Plus I've really come to love the fact that the plants are grown from my care

blizowman1 said:
I'll say it how it was said to me a freshwater planted tank can look anyway you want it to. So so so many different ways to look. Saltwater.... It's always sand rock corals fish. The rock turns purple and the sand is beige lol. Sure the fish and corals give you color but there is only so many of each everyone has and it's easier to flush a five dollar fish throw away a 10 dollar plant than it is to flush a 20- 50 dollar fish and the same for coral.... DIRT PLANTED ALL THE WAY. Plus I've really come to love the fact that the plants are grown from my care

Ahhh... But my corals have grown and are flourishing do to my care :)

Plus it's like 2 tanks in one!! During the day you enjoy the corals fish etc... And at night under the moonlights your in for a treat!! Colors pop and then the verts come out to play!! Crabs, snails, shrimp. The sand.... The sand comes ALIVE!!!! Hahaha!! It's ALIVE!!

It truly is amazing to have a piece of the ocean reef in your house!! I have enough plants in my garden and on the front stoop ;)

All in fun... All in fun...

:)

Last edited:
I guess I just like the cost of a planted tank against a reef lol I know how much my dad spends he doesn't tell mom but i know lol way more than I'm willing or capable of spending that's why I stay planted lol

blizowman1 said:
I guess I just like the cost of a planted tank against a reef lol I know how much my dad spends he doesn't tell mom but i know lol way more than I'm willing or capable of spending that's why I stay planted lol

Yeah it does get crazy expensive. Honestly all kidding aside the tank is amazing man truly is!! If I could I'd have a nice planted tank. But the only problem is my guys, my cichlids would destroy them all. Either way both sides are hard work and will only grow and prosper with love and care.

I just had to blast with some oft coral and tank shots! lol.

I left some out just incase I have to fire back some more lol.

Like I said this is a great fun thread. Hope it stays that way. No ill feelings towards anyone. We all have awesome tanks. Just some tanks are better then others. (cough) (cough) ;)

blizowman1 said:

On my planted 75 I spent around 6000$ but I bought a complete reef package for 3500$ my lights alone on th planted was 1800$ so depending on how In depth you go you can fork out big money either way

I think I'm gonna need a picture of this 6000$ freshwater tank lol

ryan-peddle said:
On my planted 75 I spent around 6000$ but I bought a complete reef package for 3500$ my lights alone on th planted was 1800$ so depending on how In depth you go you can fork out big money either way

Holy!! WOW!! I thought the 500 dollar light I bought for my SW tank was a lot!! I probably have over 4,000 in my saltwater tank. That's mods, corals, fish, inverts and supplies.

I can't even count how much my 75 African tank is up to with filters, power head, stock, decor, light fixture, API bulbs, supplies... Supplies?! Forget it. I have a shelf in the closet that looks like a shelf from a LFS lol. Always gotta be ready.

I think Corals.

They just look so rewarding to maintain.

Hopefully will own a reef somewhere in the far future ...

I put plants in my tank yesterday but my aquascaping is rubbish haha.

Convict2161 said:
I second that! :)

It's not that fantastic a work in progress but things are way more expensive her in nova scotia

The lights are 2 Aquatic Life
Expandable Marine LED Light Fixture - 72 W - 48" $799.99 each I fit them under my canopy, a fluval g6 $599.99, a fluval fx5 499.99, uv sterilizer 199.99, heaters 140$, ro/di 300$ I do all my own additives, stand is made of ebony cost around 2000$ for the dressed lumber and I built it myself, and the rest I just tally up my receipts as they come in lol it's a sickness

Attachments

• image-3653873974.jpg
    image-3653873974.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 83
ryan-peddle said:
It's not that fantastic a work in progress but things are way more expensive her in nova scotia

The lights are 2 Aquatic Life
Expandable Marine LED Light Fixture - 72 W - 48" $799.99 each I fit them under my canopy, a fluval g6 $599.99, a fluval fx5 499.99, uv sterilizer 199.99, heaters 140$, ro/di 300$ I do all my own additives, stand is made of ebony cost around 2000$ for the dressed lumber and I built it myself, and the rest I just tally up my receipts as they come in lol it's a sickness

That's unfortunate. I wouldn't be in the hobby then. You're a real hobbyist :)

Tough choice, planted tanks are beautiful and relaxing, but can cost as much if not more than a reef tank of the same size. High tech planted with Discus can rival reef tanks.

I do like reef tanks better though, I love inverts! The colors on corals under certain lighting is amazing, and I also find marine fish vibrant and fascinating.

My vote would definately have to go towards the reef.. mine has been much less maintenance then my African cichlid tank (after initial setup of course lol). Plus no matter where you look you can find something going about its daily life in the reef tank from copepods bristle worms and snails to an assortment of crabs, shrimp, and other inverts. Not to mention the huge variety of colorful corals and fish :)

TankMan said:
Hmm. Is it true that stuff lives in the sand?

Lol what do you mean by that? Tons of critters live in the rock and its very interesting to look at. In freshwater there really isnt much to look at unless they are pond snails... :/

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Lol what do you mean by that? Tons of critters live in the rock and its very interesting to look at. In freshwater there really isnt much to look at unless they are pond snails... :/

Well someone said the sand "comes alive" lol

Back
Top Bottom