Pointless Fish Rants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Most businesses make their profit on the products that keep the animal alive and not the actual livestock, whether that is a large retail chain or local lfs. Lets face it, aquatic animals other than turtles are still considered novelties by the majority and are not regulated (probably a good thing) as in many domestic or even exotic mammals. There are no codes to live by, but rather set standards interacted between aquarists in how we keep our animals in a positive state of health. There are "good" and "bad" aquatic retail stores alike, both containing uneducated people wanting your money so take the time to educate yourself first in regards to your purchases and understand that no matter how knowledgable or friendly a company is, it is still a business first and foremost. You are not "saving a fish" or any aquatic animal for that matter when a purchase is made, but rather creating a sale notation for future restocking considerations. If you are disgusted with the conditions of a particular store, do not gripe about the purchase because you obviously shouldn't have made the purchase in the first place. Far too many venues exist for someone to bash another company for their faults, yet still making the purchase from them when the consumer made the choice uninhibited. For those whom only have a couple available "brick and mortar" stores in their area, look online (aquatic retailer, ebay, local aquarium club, etc.). The choices are there, make the best of the situation available.

For what it's worth, I have no qualms about buying aquatic animals from a large chain store because I know what to expect. The consumer takes the risk and it is the consumer's responsibility to justify what is right for him/her.

yes by why not save the fish when you can?

As others have already said, because it just insures that more fish are ordered to be kept in terrible conditions. If a fish dies in the store, it's a financial loss. Enough financial loss, the store will stop doing it. Even if stores don't understand animal husbandry, they understand profit/loss. And if they don't understand THAT, then they most likely won't be around long.

Yes... you're saving that individual fish, but it does nothing to solve the problem.

Maybe there should be a level that not just fish but all animals need to keep at. Then no matter if it was a LFS or chain store the animals health and safety are kept to an adequete standard

Totally agree with you. However, as with most regulated things, the regulations don't make things happen - it's the enforcement of the regulations. And with our tax adverse society these days, I don't see public agencies spending a lot of tax money to hire animal husbandry enforcement officers to patrol the stores.

why would they have to hire anyone? Use the customers. If numerous calls are made about a particular store you could send someone out to investigate (almost like an Auditor). Whether or not that is cost effective or could judge the care im not sure about. Im just think saying that LFS are better than chains is inaccurate and just as much so saying Chain stores are better than LFS. you have your good and you have your bad. As far as information goes and who has more expertise...... ive read numerous threads on here of people saying LFS said it ws ok to put this fish with this or the tank doesnt need to be cycled or saltwater tanks dont need a long set up. LFS are jsut trying to make a sale just like chains so I dont believe that nonsense

why would they have to hire anyone? Use the customers. If numerous calls are made about a particular store you could send someone out to investigate (almost like an Auditor). Whether or not that is cost effective or could judge the care im not sure about. Im just think saying that LFS are better than chains is inaccurate and just as much so saying Chain stores are better than LFS. you have your good and you have your bad. As far as information goes and who has more expertise...... ive read numerous threads on here of people saying LFS said it ws ok to put this fish with this or the tank doesnt need to be cycled or saltwater tanks dont need a long set up. LFS are jsut trying to make a sale just like chains so I dont believe that nonsense

How many people state "LFS" when they are actually speaking about a chain store? I suspect alot as I always see statements like "The only LFS around me is petsmart.". LFSs are businesses so yea, they are trying to make a sale. They have to to remain viable, even more so now. The good ones that will whether the current economic climate are focused on return customers and they do that by providing good information, training their employees, etc. Any blanket statement about either chain stores or "LFSs" are automatically wrong because they are too encompassing. JMO.

Most businesses make their profit on the products that keep the animal alive and not the actual livestock, whether that is a large retail chain or local lfs. Lets face it, aquatic animals other than turtles are still considered novelties by the majority and are not regulated (probably a good thing) as in many domestic or even exotic mammals.

While my experience is limited to one franchise and one perspective, I would have to disagree. For instance fish tanks cost me more if I attempt use my employee discount (because it is cost to the store plus 10%) the same goes for Dog food. On the other hand, fish I get for pennies on the dollar and dogs are marked up from 2 or 3 hundred to over 1500 in some cases.

As mentioned in one of the above posts, any blanket statement is ridiculous. There are so many factors involved. For instance, my owner owns two stores from the franchise petland. While i'm sure there are horrible ones out there hers are kept quite meticulously. However, one of her stores has older equipment by simply a few years and one has newer. The store I work at simply has few loses and rarely ich. While the other store has to work much harder to maintain a disease free environment. Anyway, while the original point is 100% fact, I would just like to point out to everyone that you must assess every situation and act accordingly.

I have purchased fish from MANY of the places of business from around here. Walmarts fish in tyler.. the fish look happy, healthy and ive purchased 3-4 fish from them. Never got ich or any diseases from them. Ive purchased from petsmart and petland. Both of these places have EXTREAMLY knoledgeable staffs.. then i also have a place called Exotic Fish.. I purchased my lion from these guys.. bala sharks, loaches, anemone's, liverock. Some of his staff dont know what they are talking about.. but id have to say 95% do. One of the guys that work for him, is on this forum! He hires for smarts.. and i think he made the mistake once to hire for looks.. but i dont think that mistake works there anymore!

My bottom line is.. it doesnt matter where you go.. it just depends on who is there and who likes there job enough to keep the inhabitants happy and clean.

I'd wager to guess that it does matter where you go, to an extent. If corporate policy dictates that your store must order from a certain supplier (as is often the case with chain stores), and said supplier continually sends your store sick fish, your employees are going to have to stock the store's tanks with sick fish regardless of how much they like their jobs.

Back
Top Bottom