pregnancy and aquariums?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CichlidsAreBoss

Aquarium Advice Regular
So we got the news I'm pregnant, but I'm alittle worried. Is it safe to put your hands in the tank? I've done my research and its a toss up. Some people say yes others no. Don't get me wrong I'd never want to do anything to harm the child. But there's no way I'm going to neglect my fish! I love to put my hands in the tank re arrange things go through the gravel and what not. So I'm wondering if any women have had issues doing this or have been advised not to? I go to my doctors next week and will be talking to him about it, but until then I'd like some insight on the topic! And I'm 12 weeks if that makes a differnce?

AS long as your not drinking the water or spilling meds on yourself I see no reason why it would be bad for you..My wife is 20 weeks today and still likes to feed the fish. Congrats by the way. *LOL* when she first came around she hated the sound of the tanks, now she has a hard time if I fill them up enough there is no sound (we like the semi-waterfall sound)

Congratulations! You should be fine as long as you don't drink the water, which I am guessing you aren't doing anyway. Its fine to put your hands in the aquarium but you may not want to be the one to handle chemicals like Prime or do all the tests if you use the API test kit.

+1 to what they said and also dont put your hands in there if you have an open wound it can cause serious infections. congratulations!!!!

Thanks everyone! Great to hear that I don't have to give up my hobby!! :) oh and deff not into drinking fish water lol!

My wife looked into this when she was pregnant and as part of her Midwife/Doula training: As long as you wash your hands thoroughly after you put your hands in the tank or handle anything aquarium related you'll be perfectly fine.

We have 13 tanks running and encountered no issues.

Congratulations by the way :)

My wife looked into this when she was pregnant, as long as you wash your hands thoroughly after you put your hands in the tank or handle anything aquarium related you'll be perfectly fine.

We have 13 tanks running and encountered no issues.

Congratulations by the way :)

Wow, you have 13 tanks?? That's awesome!

Back
Top Bottom