Preparing for heat wave. What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
So it's gonna be near 100 degrees for the next 2 days. What's everyone doing to prepare? I have AC's in every room that has a tank, I still bought a bag of ice and got some ziplock bags incase the saltwater tank gets too hot. The 75g African tank I'm not that concerned about as I can just do a water change and just add cooler water.

As far as possible black outs. I have a battery powered air pump of the African tank just to keep the water moving and oxygenated.

I don't have much for the saltwater tank other them the pump and power heads hooked up to a battery back up surged protector. Hopefully it won't come down to it, but if need be I have a generator on hand of need be.

Was just curious what others were doing of anything with the news of possible 100+ degrees for the next 2 days.

Just like to be prepared...

That's how I feel in the winter. My room gets freezing, and even though I have a heater, I still worry it won't keep up or something.

Summer, I made sure my tank was in my room with the AC. It doesn't usually get over 82 in the tank, even when the AC is off, (since I have tropicals, all of them are perfectly fine with that), but I like them to be comfortable, and not at the top of their temp range.

The only thing I did differently was to lower the blinds/close curtains. We do have A/C that will keep the temp steady.

I closed my curtains today and left all the windows open for circulation. I'm on the 4th floor so i plan on my apartment being 120 degrees when I get home haha. However, I bought a little desk fan that sits above the water and provides the tank a nice "tropical breeze" lol. I used it a few weeks ago and it worked well, kept the tank below 80.

You can experience outages when people crank up too many A/C units in order to stay cool. It overloads the system.

I guess living in the desert does have some benefits. Getting ready for heat just comes natural. Crank the ac, fridge full of beer and prepare for the ungodly power bills for the next few month.

LyndaB said:
You can experience outages when people crank up too many A/C units in order to stay cool. It overloads the system.

Oh. I guess that doesn't happen in a town like mine lol. It's small.

paytertot said:
Why do you have blackouts when its hot?

Blackouts occur when it's hot for a few reason. Wires heat up and catch fire thus breaking and causing a break in service. Transformers heat up and the fluid inside them can sometimes boil and the transformer will actually explode which will take out blocks and blocks and blocks. Also look at like this. It's 6pm everyone just got home from a days work and they all turn there AC's on all at the same time. The power grids can't take it, substations go on overload trying to supply enough power and sometimes fail causing a huge problem and fire. I'll try an find the fire from Yonkers NY.

Couldn't find the one from Yonkers but here's one we used in training so you get the idea. We have 4 in my district and believe me were watching them closely.

Last edited:
Convict2161 said:
Blackouts occur when it's hot for a few reason. Wires heat up and catch fire thus breaking and causing a break in service. Transformers heat up and the fluid inside them can sometimes boil and the transformer will actually explode which will take out blocks and blocks and blocks. Also look at like this. It's 6pm everyone just got home from a days work and they all turn there AC's on all at the same time. The power grids can't take it, substations go on overload trying to supply enough power and sometimes fail causing a huge problem and fire. I'll try an find the fire from Yonkers NY.

Couldn't find the one from Yonkers but here's one we used in training so you get the idea. We have 4 in my district and believe me were watching them closely.

Oh Dang! Well my town is only like 32 square miles and has a population of 50,000 or so. And a lot of them don't have AC. So I guess that's why I didn't know that hahaha

Just thought of another. Actually because I just did it. I changed the light cycle for my African tank cause it's reading 80 already. I turned the lights off and I'll turn the blue and purple lights and run them from 7-8 just so I can see them and do my normal quick look around the tank.

Then lights off. That should keep the tank cooler.

Also I picked up battery operated air pumps, pretty cool, I didn't know they had these. I grabbed 2 my buddy sold them for 10 bucks each. Figure they would help if need be. I know I'm over and beyond but I like being prepared.

Wow convict. If like to see your personal disaster plan. Impressive!

Well, it was 91 degrees here today and still is... My apartment has to be 100... My little desk fan has the tank at 80... Best 10 dollar investment!

Back
Top Bottom