project involving reef health off of Roatan, Honduras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wierdkid

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am currently involved in an engineering project for one of my classes involving the coral reef located off of Sandy bay on the island of Roatan in Honduras. We are addressing nutrient and sedimentation issues in a watershed that empties onto a reef, and as a result have concerns over the health of the reef. We would like to gather information as to what levels of nutrient and sediment loading as well as other related issues (turbidity, eutrophication, etc) the reef can handle and thrive in. I would particularly like to have scientific articles, but I would greatly appreciate any help anybody can lend. Since this is a serious project I need citation information for any sources (journal names, date of publication, names, etc)

well I have pretty much exhausted every database and search engine for data. My team has decided that we should focus mostly on suspended solids (TSS) (solids have a tendency to carry chemical pollutants, so we can knock out two birds with one stone here). I was unable to find any data on what level TSS the local coral (Montiplora annularis, Acropora palmata, and Agoricia tenuifolia) can handle, so if anyone has any off hand knowledge I would appreciate it. Otherwise, I plan on averaging the levels of what other species(preferably ones from similar genuses and ecological niches) can handle

Back
Top Bottom