Pronunciations. . .

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meredith

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have seen a few times when people would like to know how to pronounce something like scientific names of fish and what not. I thought it might be kina neat to have a thread dedicated to that. I alway see words that I have no idea how to say, so I just don't say them. Good idea or bad?

shouldn't Betta = bay-da. Thats how I say it.

Nope! Despite that fact that "bay-da" seems to be the way 99% of people pronounce it, the proper way is actually "bed-a", as RogerMcAllen said...

well then .... i am a cook/chef not a fricken language major LOL Swahili is the north american way to say it and is accepted as much as kiswahili as far as i can tell :lol:

I was just wondering cause Mbuna (i think it was) in kiswahili means river .... i work with a girl that is from the rift lake area of Africa.

I have always said : M-buna, fwiw. No plans to stop... 8)

Betta is indeed: beda, because "bay-ta" is how you pronounce the word BETA, with one "T."

Great thread!!

Hmmm.... what else?

I know it's not fresh-water, but

anenome--an enemy

I didn't learn how to pronounce it until I watched Finding Nemo :oops:

Ok, I never took Latin so how do you say:

Colisa lalia

is it La-LIA with emphasis on the LIA

or

LA-lia with emphasis on the LA?

Thanks, I've been dying to know. :roll:

TankGirl said:
I have always said : M-buna, fwiw. No plans to stop... 8)

Betta is indeed: beda, because "bay-ta" is how you pronounce the word BETA, with one "T."

Great thread!!

Hmmm.... what else?

It is 'bett-a'!!! :bad-words:

Back
Top Bottom