Question about cycling an aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

srd2012

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I had a question about cycling a tank. Which I have done many times, but I noticed the slime that builds up in my filter. I took some of this and stuck it under my microscope at 800x magnification, and noticed there is microscopic worms all in it. Anyone know if this is normal? Im assuming the worms were eating the slimey goo in the filter. But did not like the look of it so cleaned the filter. Usually I only clean the replaceable filter in the over the top filter, and leave the other mesh filter alone as its a permanent filter. As I heard its best to not clean that one to much. But after seeing the microscopic worms I went a head and cleaned it too. Im just not sure those things are supposed to be part of the natural cycling process,,anyone know?

I honestly don't know - guessing those are pretty small worms. I don't think I have ever seen a post on this. How's the rest going?

at 800 X magnification, you are most likely looking at the bacteria colonies you are trying to get to grow when cycling. ;)

Back
Top Bottom