question about kitty surgery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Meredith

Aquarium Advice Addict
My kitten is going in tomorrow morning to be "fixed" and the lady said no food after midnight. I can't remember though if its ok for me to leave the water down. Anybody know?

No food or water after midnight. I am having surjury next Tuesday same rules apply for me. Don't worry your kitty will be just fine.

Ok, how do you stop a cat from eating if it's an outdoor cat? I have 4 that need fixing (never fixed anything that wasn't broke before).

I LOVE my vets!! I took Rumble in this morning at 9:00am. I got a call at 9:45 to tell me that he was done and I could pick him up any time after noon. :multi: :multi: I was shocked!
I am also registered at feline advice, but I wasn't sure that I would get a response over there that late at night.

Ok, how do you stop a cat from eating if it's an outdoor cat? I have 4 that need fixing (never fixed anything that wasn't broke before).
catch it and crate it the day before.

Meredith said:
I am also registered at feline advice, but I wasn't sure that I would get a response over there that late at night.

you'd be surprized how late I stay up =o)

dralarms- Bring them in for the night! If you keep them in a small, cozy area like a bathroom or laundry room, it will make them feel safe. Plus, it would be easier to gather them to go to the vet. If they are outdoor you definatly need to get them fixed cuz god knows what kinda trouble they are getting into =oP

good luck to all the kitties and people that are going under the knife. I hope all turns out well.

Realize that the requirement for an empty stomach is a serious one. While unconcious, should the contents of the stomach be expelled, then inhaled into the lungs (aspiration), a life threatening pnuemonia can develope. The stomach is never completely empty, there are always secretions (saliva, gastric secretions) present. Lungs can be damaged by the acidity of the stomach fluid, but the worst danger is when food particles are inhaled. Then you have the acid damage as well as the physical obstruction of the food particles. Very Bad. While this risk of aspiration is never zero, it can be greatly reduced by not eating or drinking. In all liklihood water would pass through the stomach very fast, but I doubt adequate studies have been done in cats to make this a safe assumption. In humans, there is evidence that water can be taken as late as 2 hours before surgery without increasing the risk, but again, I doubt cats have ever been investigated.

I only add this in, because I have noticed that when people don't understand why they are to do something, they might not do it or do it incorrectly out of misunderstanding. Fear not, the risk of anesthetic death is quite low in a young healthy animal. There might even be greater risk of death driving in the car on the way to the vet than there is from the surgery.

Best wishes!

Interesting Tom. I did make sure he did not have access to any food or water, but it is nice to know why. Thanks :D

Yes I agree Tom that is very useful information. My kitten Zoe goes in tomorrow morning for her spaying and even though I have done this over 9 times, I am still a wreck. But I feel alot better keeping her food and water from her knowing why it is so important!

Don't worry guys your kittens will be just fine. Thanks Tom I always wonder about the no food or water before anesetia rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom