Question for techies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishyfanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
I uploaded several pics from my camera to the computer then erased the images off of the camera card. By accident I deleted the pictures off of the computer. Is there any way to retrieve them? I remember reading something somewhere that said unless you re-format your computer, the images are not completly lost. I am desperate to find these images. Can someone help? BTW- They are not in my recycling bin either.

what operating system is it? windows xp or 2000?

also, need to know the file system. Open up "My Computer" and right click on your hard drive (assuming it is "C:") and go to properties. On that page somewhere it should say: "File System: XXXXX" where XXXXX is either NTFS or FAT-32

then from there we can find a data recovery program... although there might be some nwadays that arent even file system dependant... its been a long time since Ive had to do this

Is the program something that we have to buy? I know it is an XP system. It is my work computer but I'll go back to the office tomorrow and get the rest of the info.

There is nothing in windows XP that will allow you to retrieve deleted pictures, That I know of.

If you do need a program to find them, I would suggest System Mechanic 6. Its available at any office supply store for $40-$60

Drat! They were very important pictures for my job. I can't believe I was such an idiot and hit the delete button. Not once, but TWICE!

The data is not lost until new data is written over it. The sonner you try to recover the files with a recover utility the better chance of getting them. The more stuff that is written to disk in the mean time runs the risk of writting over the individual sectors that the file where written to.

As has been described you need to know your OS first and your file system type second. Different utilities will work with various file systems. Some will allow you to undelete the files while others will require you to write the files to a floppy disk or some form of removable media for recovery.

[google]recover deleted files[/google]

The above search should get you started.

Try an Explorer search for the format the pictures were in (.jpg, .tiff, .raw, whatever). A lot of times there is a temp folder that the file is copied on. Make sure you select the option to search hidden files and folders.

Recover the photos off the media that was used in the camera. It will be alot easier than finding them on your HD. Google "Photo recovery" and you will probably find plenty of freeware that will do it. I've done it after re-formatting my CF card, not once, but twice ;)

Thanks Kevin! I'll try that this evening once I get the camera back. If that doesn't work I'll try the HD. I'm not tech savy so I'd rather try the easiest way first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom