Raking Leaves Aaaargh....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

talloulou

Aquarium Advice Addict
Can I just say I hate raking leaves!!!!! Especially in the Pacific Northwest where the leaves you are raking are guaranteed to be wet!!! Good Lord!

My husband won't have anything to do with it. He claims the leaves fall where God intends them to and nature will take care of itself. He also doesn't believe he should mow the lawn, in fact he doesn't believe we should even have a lawn 'cause they are unnatural. If it was up to him the front yard would revert to moss and wild weeds.

All that would be fine if we lived in the country but we happen to live in a well manicured neighborhood. Most of the residents on my street are retired folk who spend hours perfecting the curb side appeal of their house.....and then there's my house with kids, dogs, and 8 deciduous trees! On top of that we have a humongous pine tree that drops huge pine cones and an apple tree.

So basically I spent all morning raking wet leaves, pine cones, and apples. I'm ready to crawl into a cave and die. Plus the whole time I'm raking the wind is blowing and it's raining more leaves! To top it all off my neighbor came over to chat about how most of the people on the block have had their trees removed and maybe we should consider losing a tree or two or five! Can you believe that? I told her the trees are beautiful and I'd never cut them down. Meanwhile I have a leaf, pinecone, apple mountain in my driveway. The tree hating neighbor stared at my mountain and said, "It's gonna be a lot of work bagging that mess!"

I agreed so I left it. I figure when the kids get home from school they can play in the pile with the dogs and throw old rotten apples at one another. Hopefully that will spread the leaves back all the hell over the place like they are supposed to be. 8) My husband is a very wise man and I should listen to him more often. :oops:

I have a bunch of trees all around my house as well. The tree out front has these tiny little leaves that are hard as heck to rake so I use a leaf blower!! Much more fun than raking. And I never bag the leaves. I just blow them to the other side of the yard where all the pinetrees are and spread them around. Eventually they get covered over with needles. So far there have been no complaints from the neighbors (who have very tended yards)

Well I just listened to the news and they are forecasting 1-4 inches snow possible in my area tonight and tomorrow. So I could've just waited and all the leaves would have been hidden by a blanket of snow :lach:

Does the leaf blower work on wet leaves???

I've used a leaf blower on wet leaves, they don't blow so well but the suck function works pretty good. I got rid of most of my leaves and then it snowed as well.

Pretty well. It just takes a little longer is all. I would much rather blow wet leaves off my driveway than try and rake them. Blech!

I hate raking leaves with a passion. Every fall we have to go up to the cabin as a family to rake leaves and it takes at least two days. We must have a million oak trees around our cabin that drop trillions of leaves and acorns that make a 5 inch layer. We always end up using a big tarp to rake the leaves onto and haul them down the driveway into the woods. I understand the pain.... :lol:

I'm lucky enuf to have curbside pickup twice in the fall/winter. No bagging. Just one big pile. My pile is now 8' tall and 12' wide. I have a leaf blower on wheels ('cause of my P/T lawn business). It moves everything. Wet or dry.

I take your husbands approach as far as leaves go Talloulou. My hubby mows the lawn when he gets to it. I just shovel, I like doing that for exercise.

You have to get a blower, BUT you have to get one that also has the mulch function ... I sucked up about 400lbs. of Leaves and then just dumped them from the bag on the mulcher to the garbage!!!
Here in FL we don't get the luxury of snow covering our hiddeous yards ... and anyone in FL will agree that a "NICE" lawn in FL is like finding ocean front property in Arizona. So every weekend I find myself looking like Lawnmower man, Riding the TORO 17.5HP mower and strapped with a TORO 4.5HP Blower/Mulcher combo. I swear if Lawn maintenance was war .... I would be a military superpower with all my "Gadgets"!!! :wink: :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom