Rare Algae Species?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RoboFish808

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys, during the summer I have tons of outdoor ecospheres and mini tanks

My Pygmy sunfish cube gathered this strange hexagonal algae that took over the water column

I’ve been googling it for months. No one has ever mentioned a hexagon form thread algae. No pictures either. It’s a long shot, but maybe it’s a rare type? Doubting it’s undiscovered but I have no idea why my very specific keywords garner no results.

Anyone have any ideas? Here’s what it looks like: IMG_3544.jpg

Hey guys, during the summer I have tons of outdoor ecospheres and mini tanks

My Pygmy sunfish cube gathered this strange hexagonal algae that took over the water column

I’ve been googling it for months. No one has ever mentioned a hexagon form thread algae. No pictures either. It’s a long shot, but maybe it’s a rare type? Doubting it’s undiscovered but I have no idea why my very specific keywords garner no results.

Anyone have any ideas? Here’s what it looks like: View attachment 325230

Should have been more specific and mentioned this was last summer which is why I drew it

Do you mean something like this?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_net

VJW4oUK.jpeg

Last edited:
I just googled hexagonal algae. Loads of pages and photos. I provided a wikipedia link which names the type of algae.

I saw the wiki link but it didn't have much info. It's something new for me and now I want some to grow and see how it does. It's always nice to find something new and interesting to learn about. :)

It says that its a problem in NZ so they will probably let you have some. It cant be more than a short ferry ride from elizabeth quay. Quick pint of little creatures at the lucky shag, turn left at rottnest, be there and back before lunch time.

JK of course.

Back
Top Bottom