removing old caulk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Meredith

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was in the middle of cleaning my bathroom when I decided that the caulking around my tub was looking bad. So I went and got a razor blade and I am now in the middle of trying to get all this old caulk up. I think I am in over my head. I didn't think it would take this long to remove it. Is there an easier way to get this stuff up, other than scraping. I tried to grab a piece and pull it up, but it just snaps off.

Grab a piece and pull gently. As you do, slide the blade down right near where the piece you are pulling meets the wall and slice away at the connection from the inside(from against the wall).

Also remember that the cutting power of a razor blade comes from the slicing motion. They are almost useless if you just push the blade straight on.

They sell little caulk removers from hardware stores. They are made of hard plastic and only cost a buck or two. You basically just use the pointed end and push along the caulk line and it comes up pretty easy. I just re-did my shower about a month ago......it's no fun, but looks great when you're done!!

Ah, I am going to look into that tool. I finished around the tub. It was a PAIN but it looks much better. What made it worse is who ever put the tub in, got glue all over the side of the tub and some glopped partly onto the flooring. :evil:
Anyway, thanks for the tips, they will come in handy as I still have my shower to do :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom