RIP molly boy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HannahJo

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was doing my weekly water change last week and something terrible happened. My gold dust molly male kamikazied himself into the vacuum and died. I have accidently sucked up fish before, but they usually go half way up the vacuum (and swirl around :whistle:) and then I kink the tube and they swim out. This time he literally swam right up into the vacuum and before I could even kink the tube he got sucked up into the little flappy thing. I panicked and started shaking the vacuum thinking he would fall out. When he didnt come out I ripped the tube off from the vacuum part but he wasn't in the tube. He had gotten stuck inside the little flappy thing that connects the vacuum to the tube. I don't even know how he fit in there- it was terrible. Once I saw him stuck in there- I gently pried him out. He fell into the tank and just sank to the bottom- he was still breathing but barely. I tried to move him around and face him right side up- but he kept sinking to the bottom and going upside down. He did this for a short time and then he stopped breathing. I took him out and euthanized him (well- I was pretty sure he was already deceased but just to make sure). So that was pretty traumatizing. :(
Anybody else ever had this happen? I just use a very basic, manual vacuum- I think it's an aqua culture one. It's a self-start siphon type- nothing fancy.

Yikes, that would be terribly traumatizing. Euthanizing a fish is the pits. The vac I have is a Fluval for the Edge and it is a bit smaller than the average size I see, narrow but long and has a little plastic screen before "guarding" the hole. I would recommend something like that so it wouldn't happen again. Not sure if you need a bigger size maybe there is a brand with the cover guard for the hole.

So sorry you had that experience. I am sorry for the loss of your Molly.

Awwww that is so sad!! I’ve had my beta sucked up by a filter before so I know how traumatic that must have been. I always move my fish out before using a vacuum. I just get some tank water and put them in it with my net, although you may not want to do that. Maybe try another vacuum.-annabanana

I have over 30 fish in my tank and removing them all would be close to impossible.. Lol
I may try to find a new one that has the cover guard lile autumnsky was saying.

Back
Top Bottom