Sad Day for LFS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

greenfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
One of the better LFS in the area is closing its doors after 18 1/2 years in business. They always had clean tanks and nice fish. They were a little expensive but I would drive 40 minutes just to go there. I am a little bummed about it.

Any SF Bay area locals that are looking for stuff might want to check out their going out of business sales. Here is the store's web site:http://www.theaquarium.tv/

I just posted another topic about the same thing in general discussion! Sucks don't it??!?!?! That was my favorite place. :(
Where else do you go greenfish? I live about 45 minutes away from you.

dr_girlfriend - I go to Aquarium Concepts in Hayward, Octopus's Garden in Berkeley, Albany Aquarium in Albany, and Connies Tropical Fish in Castro Valley. There really isn't anything decent I have found yet on this side of the hill. Are there any other decent LFS near you?

well, there is a small place called Concord Aquarium. I've only been there once, because they have no air conditioning and it was summer and I almost died :)
The owners are really nice and informative, but it is a very small place. Not alot of dry goods/hardware. Their stock looks good, I've never bought any so I can't say for sure. (Well, I bought a betta whos lived for about 7 months now.) Their prices are actually a little cheaper than The Aquarium though. (I saw a light fixture that was almost half the price). If youre ever out this way, might be worth checking it out.
Theres also a place in Pleasant Hill called "All About Fish". Its a very large place. The owner is nice, doesn't speak very good english though. Its more of a salt/reef place. They have a huge selection of corals and marine fish. The livestock looks pretty good (except for the goldfish, of course I'm picky when it comes to those :) )
and cheaper than the aquarium. Hardware/dry goods are astronomically high. But they do have a large selection. Tons of tanks and stands too.
You would think there would be more "good" places around the bay area? Maybe in the city? I think I've heard good things about Aquarium Concepts, are they any good?

I have been to Concord Aquarium and did not really care for it. The dry goods there seemed decent though.

I have heard of "All About Fish" and I was planning on going there next time I was in the area.

Aquarium Concepts is a clean large store. They have a good selection of dry goods. Their SW fish and corals are nice. Their FW selection sometimes leaves a little bit to be desired in my opinion.

Octopus's Garden usually has some decent fish and some of the harder to find species. Not a lot of dry goods here.

Albany Aquarium's selection of live plants is second to none in the area. Their fish are ok. The dry goods selection is almost non-existant.

Connies Tropical Fish in Castro Valley is a kind of a strange store but it is decent enough for a look if you are ever in the area.

Wet Pets in Pleasanton is a small store that sometimes has good deals on used tanks. The fish there are ok but I have seen some pretty serious Ich there.

Pet Extreme in Livermore has a decent selection of dry goods but I would NOT buy fish there. I have seen LOTS of dead and sick fish.

Aquapet in Livermore is a dinky store that has some potential now that they have moved to a new location but I am in a wait and see mode with this one.

I have heard that Ocean's Aquarium in the San Francisco is nice but I rarely ever go to SF except for Giants games.

well guess I'll take a little trip one of these days and check a few of them out. I guess the closest one would be livermore, still a 45 minute drive though :roll: thanks for the info!
Maybe i'll check out the one in SF one of these days, I don't really go there either unless I have to. (I hate parking there)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom