Safety Tips for the Ladies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I will repeat this only once....this thread is meant to be a reminder to ladies. No debate, no opinions needed. This is the holiday season when a lot of people let their guards down. Period. End of story. Read the post and do with it what you will.

austinsdad said:
I've inisted my wife carry the key chain version (always handy) of the pepper spray when walking to and from her car.

IMO judo, or other close contact self defense training is a good choice too. When I first took a judo class, I found out very quickly (at about 150 lbs back then) that when leverage is used properly, that I could render a 210 man helpless or get him out of my face or off my back.
Careful with those keyring pepper sprays. I had one open up in my pocket once. This was like 12 years ago and happened at work. I kept on working and I remember thinking several times, "Why does my leg feel so itchy?". No real damage done, just very inconvienient.

Aikido is also a very good martial art for this also, as it offers very little to the assailant in forms of counter attacks and using the opponents attacks against them making it a defense only style. I posted about it in the last thread that was like this. It is an interesting feeling to be 180 pounds and get thrown (forcefully) by a 100 pound woman. But it's also an illustration of how much psychology comes into play in a situation where force is needed. I mean, you don't see too many 140 pound bouncers do you? Of course not, a big scary looking, muscle bound guy is what you normally see at the door. Realistically speaking, that guy probably doesn't really know how to fight; he relies on intimidation and brute strength. In a good martial art, you need neither to protect yourself well.

As a woman, one thing you can do is have your husband, brothers, & other guy friends attack you. Practice!!! If you never put yourself in that position then you might have trouble overcoming your fear and shock if it ever happens. If you can build your confidence somewhat you will be much better off. Plus if you practice by goofing off with friends and family you will get a better idea of what works and what doesn't. Being small can actually be used as an advantage. Plus it really helps to figure out what positions you need to avoid getting stuck in and what positions will work to your advantage. It might seem weird at first but it can actually be fun and hopefully it helps prepare you better mentally if a "real" situation should ever arise.

If you ever get pulled over by an unmarked police officer (www.snopes.com, can confirm) at night or in a deserted area and you feel uncomfortable about the situation, just crack your window and tell the officer that you will follow him/her to a police station or a crowded area.
If someone ever rear ends you at a stop sign/light DO NOT get out of your vehicle.Tell the individula you will go to a police station or a crowded area with them to exchange information.
If you carry a cell phone, always pay attn to what county you are driving through. If you need police assistance, call up information and ask for the number to the county police (even better the town/city you are in). 911 doesn't always go to an area near you, your call can go all the way to the other end of the state. 911 will then have to call police in your area. I have even heard of 911 on cell phones going to your state (instaed of the state you're traveling in).
Those are all the extra tips I can think of now.

Always carry a flash light even a small pocket one so you can see key holes, get teh key in more efficiently. If you are worried where you are you can also put keys through your knuckles, you can punch too.

talloulou- it's funny you mention having your significant other attack you... cuz I always instigate wrestling with my boyfriend... and im 5'9 with super strong legs and im kinda built big (not fat, just.. big).. and my boyfriend is 5'11 and has to weigh like 20lbs less than me... and he can STILL pin me down every time. Which, is also scary... to know as big and strong as (I think) I am, that someone smaller than me, if they are a guy, has a good posibility to pin me down.

Granted, I can bite and scratch like hell =oP

to know as big and strong as (I think) I am, that someone smaller than me, if they are a guy, has a good posibility to pin me down.
It's all in how you position your body. He is most likely making better use of his lighter weight then you are of yours.

Mazdaman said:
never heard of duck tape.... quack quack....
Sorry
Duct tape, tape that is used on air ducts.... hence the name duct tape.
And guns don't kill people, people kill people.

Actually, there's a company out there that makes Duck Tape...as a play on words of Duct Tape. its' your basic duct tape, just with a funny name.

I took Kung-Fu, have two big dogs and buy Duck brand tape at Wal-Mart for my paint business. I think I'll get some pepper spray as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom