San Francisco Banned From Selling Fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've moved this thread to the lounge...

If this is true... the logic makes no sense. How would banning the sale of fish keep puppies and kittens from ending up in shelters? I honestly doubt this will actually go in to effect.

I heard they banned the sale of goldfish, which is what I thought they meant by banning some fish keeping.

I don't know how exactly this law would work, but it still has to go through the San Francisco Board for approval or something before it can take affect, let's just hope they look at the situation differently and come up with a better law or conclusion. Otherwise some LFS might go out of business there.

bruinsbro1997 said:
I don't know how exactly this law would work, but it still has to go through the San Francisco Board for approval or something before it can take affect, let's just hope they look at the situation differently and come up with a better law or conclusion. Otherwise some LFS might go out of business there.

Yes, but I'm sure you can understand where it would be coming from with goldfish

man,if that law passes... im glad i dont live in san francisco,and if it passes,i feel bad for every member who does.

Not surprising since to you have to go thru an approval process to get an animal from a shelter and they'll even inspect your home, yard, etc before you can get OK'd for one in SF. SW fish/corals/etc will most likely be added to that list since so many are pulled from their natural habitat. Sad part is, homeless kids have no protection compared to a mutt from the pound, since anyone can have a kid.

mfdrookie516 said:
How does this make sense to you?

Saving puppies and kittens by stopping the sale of goldfish? Makes absolutely no sense.

Not the puppies and kittens part, but banning the sale of goldfish. (I'm not saying banning goldfish will help other animals. I'm saying banning the sale of goldfish makes sense)

"most fish in aquariums are either mass bred ... or taken from the wild."

Where else would you get fish? And I agree with Rookie, how on earth does not selling a fish save a puppy or kitten?

Demonknight said:
how on earth does not selling a fish save a puppy or kitten?

I'm not saying I'm agreeing with this, but my interpretation is that since fish are mass bred, people think it's ok to mass breed puppies (puppy mills). So by reducing the amount of fish sold, they think it will set an example for puppy mills. Idk if that's right or not but that's what I'm getting out of, I don't necessarily agree with it

I know, I don't get their reasoning on this either. It's just something that popped up in the news feed on my phone and hopefully will not be actually taken seriously or be considered in the future.

Same here ^, however I would agree with a law that requires you to prove that you can take care of the fish

True, some LFS out there, I'm sorry to say, are just out there for the money itself. They don't tell customers about cycling, or what could go wrong, or incompatibility. This is why we need, no not more responsible fish owners, but more responsible employees at the LFS that need them.

Same here ^, however I would agree with a law that requires you to prove that you can take care of the fish
I wouldn't... we have too many laws as it is now. We have laws regarding fishing, catching fish for aquarium use, etc...

The fact of the matter is, the way this is written, it is to 'save the puppies'.... it's not going to in any way.

You think it's okay to mistreat fish? And idk if it's the law or the article thats poorly written

No, but laws will only burden the hobby... it's illegal to mistreat children, but it happens every day. Laws only do so much.

Back
Top Bottom