sand vs. gravel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Coursair said:
It's the snails that actually burrow. The Cories only stick their noses in :). Kuhlii Loaches do like to burrow but I don't have those :)

You can stick a chopstick into the sand to aerate.
You could gently move a bit of sand in random spots.

Thanks for your help coursair :) I have now decided to use sand in my tank. Which I'm really excited about because I have always preferred it but was under the impression it was difficult to maintain. I'm also getting a snail and will look into kuhlii loaches to see if they will be compatible with the snail and my other fish :)

Lycie said:
Have never heard of that before . Would be interesting to see what it looks like :)

Go to my aquarium turtle advice thread and look at pics. That's what it looks like I like it.

Also it only cost me about 7$ to get the two inch depth of substrate I needed.

jkdubs2 said:
Go to my aquarium turtle advice thread and look at pics. That's what it looks like I like it.

Oh wow, not what I expected. It does look really nice :) good work

Lycie said:
Oh wow, not what I expected. It does look really nice :) good work

Ya thanks! It's my first one but everything so far is growing like crazy. The research on it says that its as good as or better than the Eco complete stuff or flourite or dirted tanks as its nutrients last for a loong time. I shall have to verify this myself of course but so far I like it.

okay well i want to do a heavily planted 180g so I'm leaning towards sand but could i do a mix of thing like dirt with it or kitty litter?

animalzrok2 said:
okay well i want to do a heavily planted 180g so I'm leaning towards sand but could i do a mix of thing like dirt with it or kitty litter?

you can def do a mix of things that would look awesome. And with your size tank it would be waaay cheaper to use kitty litter or dirt or sand. Just be sure to plan out the landscape of substrate so it looks natural. If u wanna know what kitty litter looks like go to my turtle thread.

Back
Top Bottom