Scaryquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snapcrackler

Aquarium Advice Addict
I found an ad in the swapsheet today that said "48 gallon custom aquarium $50" and I called the guy to find out about it. He said that he used to custom build vanloads of these things to ship to Chicago to sell for $350 each, it was designed like a vertical pillar. Supopsedly includes lights, top, heater, etc.

Welll I thought the pillar thing would be a neat jellyfish tank or something weird like that and the design sounded neat so I drove on over.

Got out there and this thing musta been 20 some years old, the top and bottom were made of scary brown countertop material and there was a hatch that opened up to a blue-shag-carpet lined compartment. I mean the real, furry, shag blue carpet.

No bottom glass, either. Just 4 pcs of glass siliconed right down onto the brown plastic stuff. All of the handles were those black flat iron decorative handle things.

The glass was not beveled and was sharp at all the corners. There was no reinforcing frame. It was pretty scary. I bid this guy farewell and went along my merry way.

It's anyone's guess how this guy was selling these things for $350 a pop as he claimed. I dunno. Especially 20 years ago. LOL

I would venture to guess that the guy was a leeetle bit.. how shall I put this... full of it.

Sigh.

:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom