Scraped BOESEMAN

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

judyheitz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Did my morning head count of my fish and noticed one of my rainbow missing. Search the tank and found him caught under a stump. I jiggled the stump and out he came he had lodged his head in a hole. He scraped pretty good on top and so as a preventative Measure I treated him with erythromycin hoping that it will avoid an infection. I will treat again tomorrow followed the next day by a 25% water change and then I will continue to treat a few more times. My question is what do YOU DO when faced with a similar situation?IMG_0010.jpg

You are on the right track. The only thing I might do differently would be around 50% wc for a few days to help as much as possible to avoid infection.

Actually, I was faced with a similar situation. My big blood parrot got a huge scrape on the side of his face. It was white and kind of dangling like I see in yours. It took 3-4 weeks to heal, but each day I saw improvement. It ended up covering over white, looking like scar tissue and I thought I would have a fish with a white spot but over the next few months, the scales came back correctly colored. Since it is a rainbowfish and since they come from ultra-clean mountain streams, more than a 25% water change will do. With rainbowfish, the norm is 50% once a week. I think maybe a week of antibiotics, but then go for something like melafix or stress coat, something mild for growing tissue. Boesemani, for some reason, freak out faster than most rainbows, and are very nervous fish compaired to other rainbows. They need to be given the "spa" treatment. Clean water, frequent water changes will help it heal better than anything you can give it. By the way, I did not put any thing in the blood parrot, except water changes. Oh and try to find out what got him going in the first place. They are very frightened by bright lights and will hide before fighting.

Back
Top Bottom