Seeking help with getting PH up - freshwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

matthewloe

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've set up several tanks but I seem to be losing a bunch of fish to what I think is too low PH. I'm using well water with a ph of 5.8 - 6.0. I've been using API ph UP but it doesn't seem to last too long before crashing back down. I'm looking for a solution to keep the PH up around 7.0.

I've been told to start using crushed coral + baking soda. I've also been told to invest in a RO/DI filtration system. Online reviews seem to be very mixed on a RO/DI system for freshwater. I'm looking for the best long-term solution. I have no problem using a RO/DI system and then adding in the correct chemicals.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. thank you!

What kind of fish? Chasing pH usually leads to more issues unless you are seeking to keep fish that need to be kept at a specific pH. Do all the fish come from the same store? Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate?

A media bag with crushed coral in your filter is a good solution to raise your pH, better than trying to do it chemically.

Another way to raise pH is to increase general flow inside your tank. I don't know why this works but it does. As long as you do so in a focused way, not turning your stock into stressed out projectiles that is. The one component of increasing flow that might affect the change is that flow dynamics can, when focused properly, greatly increase dissolved oxygen levels.

Back
Top Bottom