Should McDonald's be banned?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just like that insane coffee spilling law suit several years ago, people need to quit placing blame on "evil" companies like this for the stupid things individuals do.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but the employee basicly dumped the coffee in the customers lap. Apparently the customer is handicaped, and did not get hold of the cup good before the employee let go. :roll: dumped it in her lap and she couldn't get up to get it off or anything. Least that's the story I heard. :roll:

quarryshark said:
The word of the day is "personal injury lawsuit" - it's the new American dream.
I agree, sick as it is. The only way IMO to stop it is for juror's (us) to make a stand and start telling the personal injury lawyers...NO in the courtrooms.
I know, like thats gonna happen. :roll:

My husband had a good idea. Whoever loses a lawsuit should have to pay the costs incurred for BOTH sides. Would probably reduce the amount of lawsuits.

Michelle

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but the employee basicly dumped the coffee in the customers lap. Apparently the customer is handicaped, and did not get hold of the cup good before the employee let go. dumped it in her lap and she couldn't get up to get it off or anything. Least that's the story I heard.
Maybe there was more than one, I never heard about that one. The one I'm refering to the person dumped it in her own lap. The suit was about the temp of the coffee. little fuzzy on the details, it was a while ago.

My husband had a good idea. Whoever loses a lawsuit should have to pay the costs incurred for BOTH sides. Would probably reduce the amount of lawsuits
No that, is a great idea. :)

[quote="Clown Monarch] Would you also support an anti-litigation bill as it concerns lawsuits against tabacco companies?[/quote]

I would like to see antilitigation bills for tobacco companies for the same reason. By now those who smoke should know that smoking leads to a host of illnesses. Personal responsibility. Personal responsibility. Personal responsibility.

Just think if tobacco was outlawed tomorrow. Thousands of people would be out of a job. They would lose healthcare benefits, their pensions, etc. There would be an abundance of people getting unemployment benefits. The government would have to start supporting them until they found other jobs and the other job would probably be less money than what they had been paid since they will be starting at the bottom. I have an uncle that works in a tobacco factory. He is paid well and has good benefits. All that would be gone.

Think of the truckers and convenient stores that would lose a huge amount of income.

Like it or not, tobacco is a big part of American economy. It does kill people, but it also keeps people employed. There's good and bad in everything. Banning tobacco would solve some problems, but it would also create other problems. In my opinion, this should come down to Personal Responsibility again.

This has turned out to be an interesting debate Monarch! I'm glad you brought it up.

There is one very distinctive difference between smoking and over-eating I'm surprised no-one has made yet. Tobacco is a habit forming drug. Food is necessary to survive, but McDonalds isn't addictive. If someone were to chose today to lose weight and get into shape, all they have to do is modify their habits and exercise. If someone chose today to quit smoking they have to kick a chemical dependency that affects your health and mental state. These are two very different things.

As far smoking being banned. The #1 rule on what you have the "Right to do" is wether or not you're doing that imposes on someone ELSES rights. If I sit in the park and eat 12 happy meals and a diet coke, I am not imposing on your rights. You can sit there and watch me if you choose, or you can not watch me, it's your choice. Nothing is being imposed on you. If someone is smoking somewhere I have to be, I have to breathe. i don't have a choice. I don't choose to subject myself to the toxins and health problems associated with smoking. But if your smoking around me, you've imposed your choice onto me. Thats why smoking is banned. And for the claim that second hand smoke isn't harmful. Try telling that to someone with asthema or any other breathing condition.

With freedom comes responsibility.

Nobody is pointing a gun at you and forcing you to eat McDonalds.
And you have to be pretty dense to think that it is good for you.

Quote:

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but the employee basicly dumped the coffee in the customers lap. Apparently the customer is handicaped, and did not get hold of the cup good before the employee let go. dumped it in her lap and she couldn't get up to get it off or anything. Least that's the story I heard.

Maybe there was more than one, I never heard about that one. The one I'm refering to the person dumped it in her own lap. The suit was about the temp of the coffee. little fuzzy on the details, it was a while ago.

the reason you didn't hear about that portion of the story is because the media just happened to leave that information out. They also didn't mention that the coffee was EXTREMELY hot, more so than coffee should ever be. Another example of media leaving out information is like when there was the child "attacked" by a shark last year, and how the dad bravely saved the child...

real story: the UNCLE (not the dad) was fishing and caught the shark on the line. Then allowed the child to go up and "pet" the shark. As soon as that true information started leaking out, the press dropped the story. Never once mentioned the truth.

I know I am coming on in the tail of the discussion, but I think I have some good info to add. McDonalds is not promoting toward children as much any more. They do wonderful community service and provide a lot of jobs.

Another tidbit of info that goes along with the whole "conscious eating stuff" is that Kraft will be phasing out all/most of the ads for their unhealthy foods (macaroni and cheese, the kids' cereals, etc..) in an effort to 1. escape flames from people who can only blame themselves and 2. stop the unethical promotions of unhealthy items to children (because no matter if the parents say no, it is scientifically proven that ads effect children more easily than they do adults).

People need to make a choice on whether they want to eat that stuff or not. I personally think people sueing these places are obsurd. Common sense will tell you anything cooked in grease and fat is bad for you.

There is a movie out there about things like this i believe the name of it is "Supersize Me" havent seen it personally but might worth seeing from what i here

BillyZ said:
There is one very distinctive difference between smoking and over-eating I'm surprised no-one has made yet. Tobacco is a habit forming drug. Food is necessary to survive, but McDonalds isn't addictive.

This has been my main attack against the cigarette companies - they sell a physically addictive product.

True, it's physically addictive. Food is probably the most psychologically addictive substance, but not physically addictive.

Marijuana, on the other hand, is not physically addictive but illegal. There seems to be only one common tie between legal and illegal substances - commerce.

I'd just hate to think that right and wrong in this country is dictated by profits...

Marijuana, on the other hand, is not physically addictive but illegal. There seems to be only one common tie between legal and illegal substances - commerce.

I think I would disagree with that.

I think that the McDonald clan should exercise its right to withdraw permission of name use, and demand some compensation...a few hundred million $ worth.

Why?...McDonalds just annoys the hell out of me....their marketing is pervasive and irritating, their food is nauseating and unhealthy, and their 'happy meals' are sold on the basis of the toy included, not the food. Oh yes...and because I hate clowns.

xxmoorishmanxx said:
There is a movie out there about things like this i believe the name of it is "Supersize Me" havent seen it personally but might worth seeing from what i here

It is an interesting movie. Yes, too much Mcdonalds is bad. Yes smoking is bad. What about alcohol? If Mcdonalds should be banned then lets bring back prohibition. How many people are killed every day because of drunk drivers,liver disease? And while we are at it, how about a new law making sun block mandatory, and tanning beds illegal. *I dont actually think any of these things should be done* I guarantee that a person comes into contact with things every day that could be potentially fatal. Why would someone want to be told what they can and can not eat? I agree that it is all about personal responsibility. I could spend my whole life worrying about other people and what is going to happen to them if they dont become more healthy or quit smoking, but then I would probably get an ulcer.

Kinda straying from the subject, but...

I couldn't really care less what anyone does. If someone wants to eat McDonald's 3 times a day, smoke 5 packs a day, and wash it all down with a gallon of vodka - fine by me. Personal responsibility, baby. Freedom of choice is a wonderful thing.

The only problem is when that person ends up on life support for the rest of his life at $10,000 per day - we all foot the bill. Suddenly this guy's choices become my problems too. Fact is, smoking is costing ALL of us a lot of money. Obesity is costing ALL of us a lot of money.

There's nothing wrong with taxing the heck out of those things that are costing everyone in society.

I don't know if this has been mentioned since I only scanned responces
but McDonalds should have been banned long ago for the animal slaughtering techniques. I read an article about how they go about killing their animals (and how they don't meet certain standards of human-ness)... it was absolutely horrible.

Should McDonald's be banned

I'm responding just off the first page, haven't gone any further, so if I say something someone else has already said, oh well.

What kind of person wants more government intervention in there lives? You mention on this page the sights smells etc of a free nation, this nation has not been free for a very long time, more free than most, but certainly not free. The simple fact that you now want to legilate where I am allowed to eat, just goes to show why we are not a free nation. If you don't like McDonalds...don't eat there, free will, you have it, use it, but do not propose to ban/legislate what and where others can eat. There are many liberties we used to have that were simply handed away as it is.

lyquidphyre, more companies than just McDonalds should be forced to change their slaughter practices. :?

Personally I feel that every time the govt legislates something an individual can't do, we ALL lose. I'd prefer to see less of the govt in my personal life than more of it.

This is a good debate. It makes one ask some questions about right and wrong. Is the good of the masses more important than the rights of an individual? I'm going to wear my seat belt when I drive, but I'm annoyed that I'll be fined if I don't.

As far as the cost associated with health care from obesity and smoking, one can argue that it's just accelerating the time frame of when those costs are brought to bear. Perhaps there may even be fewer health care costs for a fat smoker that drops dead of a massive coronary without ever having a stay in a hospital, than the 90 year old that is hospitalized perpetually with a variety of age related illnesses. There's always a counterpoint!

BillyZ said:

I think I would disagree with that.

Actually, BillyZ this is true. There have been studies that show that marijuana is not 'physically' addictive. I don't know them offhand, but would be willing to do the research and find out if you want to know.

When I was in my psych class when I was going to nursing school we talked about illegal drugs. My instructor said that the only thing wrong with pot is that it makes you stupid, but it's not addictive.

I'd just hate to think that right and wrong in this country is dictated by profits...

LMAO, Just got to this part, I guess you think no one is making any money off of dope...LOL, I'd wager more money is made off of drugs in this country than in McDonalds, I think it might be close, but I think drugs would win out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom