Should you add liquid fertilizers right away when you purchase a plant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yohance

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys, quick question do you guys use the full amount recommended for the ferts right away when you first purchase a plant or do you guys add half dose or wait like a week or two before adding them?

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends a lot. If you have nutrients in the substrate it may not need it for a while.

Also depends on what kind of plants. I have a ton of plants in a shrimp tank that never see any fertilizer at all because I’ve found in the past that even reportedly shrimp safe ferts can cause problems over time. Still can barely see the shrimp for all the plant mass so they don’t seem to mind.

What kind of plant is it?

Does it have roots?

Or like a bunch of cut stem plants?

What is your substrate and how long has your tank been running?

Plants like amazon swords valisneria cryps Floating plants etc.... my substrate is just sand with added root tabs flourish root tabs

Plants like amazon swords valisneria cryps Floating plants etc.... my substrate is just sand with added root tabs flourish root tabs

Yes dose straight away, swords are nutrient hogs and will take as much as you can throw at them, roots / substrate or water column doesn't matter.

Vals are quick growing, and crypts can be too if conditions are right.

When I dose straight away, Should I dose the tank at the recommended full dose or half dose for a week or so and then full dose?

Let's say you just dosed the day before you get your plants, maybe a half dose and then continue as you normally would. Otherwise just dose when you get them. The one time difference of half or full dose shouldn't really matter in the long run.

Ohh ok thx, sorry I was just a little confuse because when I was researching multiple sources were saying to not dose in the first week of getting plants since the plants well be in a shock period and won’t absorb any of the fertilizer, and they also recommended to dim the lights if you can.

Some things to consider...

Did you buy this plant and it was grown under water
or grown from a nursery above water

Shipped in the mail for 2 days more locally,
or a week or 2 from out of country /overseas

Plants which have had a long time in the dark would need some time to get used to being in new lighting, too bright light.

Plants grown from a nursery, not under water, will likely have been grown in much brighter light than the average aquarium, so no need to limit light, would more likely cause an issue for the plant being in dimmer aquarium light.

If your plant is from an aquarium and been growing underwater for awhile, there would be much less of a transition concern. Excepting a big difference in lighting strength.

This should help you think about what the plants need in the circumstances it is being obtained from.

Ohh ok thx that was very helpful, I don’t have the plants yet but if I was to get the plants it would most likely be from my local pet store.with the plants grown inside an aquarium.

Back
Top Bottom