Sick Liz, sick puppy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TankGirl

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just to let everyone know, I am battling a nasty case of bronchitis this week so I have not been around much, and my bullmastiff needs surgery tomorrow to correct a "hematoma ear" condition.

He had this very tense swollen ear and one vet just gave us antibiotics, and said to return in two weeks (huh?) so I had been aspirating this myself and it is basically filled with blood and serum, no infection. I finally found a vet recommended by a bullmastiff breeder and he knew exactly what it is, and says surgery is the only way to handle it, as it will keep bleeding and turn into an infected mess eventually if we don't do anything. The thing is that this is a giant dog and the surgery is going to run about $500, mostly the cost of the anesthesia because it takes a lot to get him under. I tried to talk them into doing it with local and Valium or something, but they won't, stating that surgery on cartilage will be painful even with Valium.

I have also hurt my back lifting the back end of a 160 pound dog into my minivan, so it has been an eventful week.

I am feverish today so I suppose I'll have to tote my own self off to the doctor.

Cross your fingers that my elderly (8 years - very old for this breed) giant dog will make it through surgery okay tomorrow.

Liz

Oooh, good luck tomorrow TG! Its so hard when a pet is sick. I hope you both recover quickly.

Liz, I had an afghan hound with the same situation. It is common in droop eared dogs. The problem is that they keep shaking their heads and re-aggravating the situation. We ended up having to wrap the dogs ear up onto the top of her head, and taping it in place even after the surgery....she looked goofy as heck.

Good luck and hope you get to feeling better.

Same thing happened to my golden retreiver. Hes fine now though. Hope everything goes well for your puppy and ofcourse for you.

Thanks, everyone. I am glad to hear this is not such an unusual affliction. We have to keep his ears cleaned often because he does tend to get external ear canal infections, and he shakes his head sometimes when his ears are bad, but the thing is that this time his ears were clean. I am just annoyed that the first vet did not have a clue what it was. Needless to say I have found a new vet who is very familiar with the problems this breed is prone to.

We have been warned that he will have to wear a compression dressing on top of his head for a while, so I'll be sure and post a pic of him, lol - he'll be so humiliated!

Good luck to you and your "pup", TG. Seriously, I get scared anytime they have to use anesthesia on any of my pets, so I understand your worry.

Since I have a Basset Hound, this has been informative to me also. I have to clean his stinky ears every couple days, but didn't know of this "hematoma ear" thing in droop-eared dogs.

You both get better real quick!

Thanks, CC - you can bet that I'll increase his ear cleanings after this whole thing. He hates it but it is worth it.

Anesthesia is scary for a dog that everyone keeps telling you is basically on borrowed time - which I did not really think about until now, he sure doesn't act old.

I didn't know that ANY breed is considered elderly at 8! Then again, I'm no dog expert.

Dudley hates his ear cleanings too, but it's got to be easier to handle a 55 pound Basset that a 160 pound Bull Mastiff.

Back on topic, at least you have a Vet who knows your breed very well, that's got to be a source of comfort. Sounds like he's in good hands.

Again, best of luck and let us know how it goes. Dudley sends "healing drool" to your buddy!

cleaning the "goo" out of the ears and using a drying agent is the best prevention. What happens is that the dog slings its ears from the aggravation of ear mites or bacterial/yeast infections, and the longer the ear, the more power behind the "sling". Hematoma's are formed and the cycle begins. I am sure this is more info than what you wanted to know..(leftover from my vet tech days)
Just thought I would mention it in case anyone wanted useful information on prevention.

Awww...hope you and your dog get well soon, Liz!

I see a lot of dogs walking around the neighborhood with "bonnets" on their heads. I asked a few of the owners what was going on. It seems like many different breeds of dogs can have this surgery.

Well since we met and spoke about dogs, I know how much he means to you. I hope you feel better soon (as well as him).

Well, he did fine during surgery, though he might disagree with me about the entire experience:

normal_Cave%20ear%20surg%20Mar%202005.jpg

Awww...not withstanding the surgery, he looks pretty comfy, almost like a member of a new "biker" club. :D

Hoping that everything works out and his recovery is excellent.

(Then you can go back to hauling the....nevermind).

Oh I'm so sorry to hear about your ails, TG -- but so glad your dog made it through the surgery fine. He looks so funny with his headdress!

Sweet looking pooch!

My 100 lb golden has allergies, and gets frequent bouts of otitis externa (ear yeast infections). I try to clean them once or twice a week. But I get lax about it sometimes. About once a month I have to put in the "otomax" solution - steroid and gentamycin mix. He really scratches and shakes his head when inflamed, I had no idea something like that could happen. I cleaned his ears tonight before replying! No more ignoring his ears!

Glad he is feeling better. Hope you are too. Best wishes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom