Silver Scat - Crazy Behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fresh-Color-80

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I have an 80+ gallon fresh water community tank and my 3 bigger fish are Silver Scat. One of them has been acting very crazy. I initially found him laying on the floor like he was sick. Did a few incremental water changes added salt, etc.. Feed once a day. Levels are normal and all the other fish are just fine. He was swimming at an angle for a bit so I figured it was a swim bladder thing. So I feed rice and some blood worms for a few days. No longer swimming crooked but he keeps laying on his side for some reason. He will swim around like normal then dive-bombs to the ground for a few seconds to minutes, then he pops back up like all is well. I've even seen some of the loaches almost trying to clean him when he is laying down just chillin. Anyone seen anything like this? Do fish ever have problems floating? Maybe he is getting tired keeping himself swimming?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Your tank is really, really badly overstocked. It's possible that he has a swim bladder problem brought on by crowded conditions.

Another possibility is that your brackish scat is unhealthy from being kept in freshwater.

I would recommend reducing your stocking to appropriate levels and separating your brackish and freshwater fish into separate tanks.

Hope this helps.

Oops, my fish profile was way out of date. I have much less fish now- just updated with current stock. The other two silver scat are just fine and are a couple years old now. I skipped a couple feedings but no change. He is back to swimming at an angle again (and occasionally napping on the floor) after giving some flake food. Must be swim bladder. I'll continue the rice and blood worms in leu of flake. Thx for the reply.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom