Skull decoration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Has anyone ever used an animal skull as a decoration? Like one from a once living animal

Keep calm and drum on

You need to be careful about using real bones as they have calcium in them and can easily alter the water chemistry. If you still want to use it, you would need to get some kind of clear sealant to coat the entire skull with so the water can not get to it.

Hope this helps (y)

You could probably get the same silicon they use on tanks and brush it on. That's what I might do

Keep calm and drum on

Would it be the same for deer antlers in a tank? They are bone too. What kind of sealer would you use?

Sent via Messenger of Gondor

Have you had experience with antlers it water? I want to use a skull from a button buck I got this season and I'm not sure if it'll sink or float

Keep calm and drum on

You could probably get the same silicon they use on tanks and brush it on. That's what I might do

Keep calm and drum on

That silicon doesn't dry clear so you would alter the appearance. I'd think there would be some form of polyurathane that could be used but I just don't know which one it would be. That would have to be a call to the manufacturers.
Now, having said that, I do know that on an episode of "Tanked", they needed to seal some unique decor for a tank so that may be a phone call worth making. (y)

Have you had experience with antlers it water? I want to use a skull from a button buck I got this season and I'm not sure if it'll sink or float

Keep calm and drum on

No I do not have any experience. I would think that bones would sink they are heavy. I just have some whitetail sheds that might look cool in a aqua scape like driftwood.

Sent via Messenger of Gondor

Back
Top Bottom