snack ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Meredith

Aquarium Advice Addict
My daughter is having a party in her preschool class on monday. I asked if I could bring something in the way of snacks and the teacher said sure, something healthy. :? Any ideas for a cute valentines snack that is healthy??

You could put goldfish crackers and M&M's in little sandwich baggys tied with a red ribbon

Its not totally healthy... but its not *too* bad

or you could add peanuts in with it

I can't think of anything super healthy that little kids might like

Pretzels, grapes (cut in half - preschools usually stress that). Or, you could make little cheese sandwiches and take a cookie cutter and cut them into heart shapes (probably have a peanut allergy on the premises so skip PB&J). Maybe you can find X's and O's pretzels to go with it, come to think of it. There might be some of those fruit snacks in pouches that come in Valentine shapes, too.

How about cupcakes with pink icing? But that could get kind of messy for preschoolers. Maybe sugar cookies in a heart shape, with pink icing? Well, that could be messy too! :lol: I think lyquidphyre's idea is good too.

ants on a log!! Basically, raisins on a celery stick with peanut butter. I like PB, but you may have to avoid it :(

That's what I was going to say, cream cheese, or that "Easy Cheez" or whatever that artificial dairy orange stuff is in a can that you squirt. The kids would love that!

I just did a Valentine party at my kids' preschool and I brought chicken nuggets, cheese cubes and cupcakes with hearts on them. There was hardly a scrap of food left, though the "healthy" part is veeerrry dubious.... :roll:

Edit - One party I brought tiny pizza bagels and those went over like a lead balloon, no idea why, as my kids love them.

So you want something healthy eh. Hmmmm .....
it depends on what the other kids like. Personally i know a few things that i do that soem younger children i know really enjoy.

First of all, The one for kids that love cheese, mix 2 parts boursin cheese and 1 part cream cheeselet it firm up slightly i the refrigerator. Next get some seedless red grapes (red flames would probably work well) and wash them throughly. This is where it will get messy and you will have to work really fast (at my top speed i can do about 75 grapes in about 30-45 minutes ... that is my best mind you). Next step is to encase the grapes in the cheese mixture. take a small amount of the cheese and flatten it slightly in your palm (it helps if you work with small batches of the cheese so it doesn't melt that fast and it helps if you naturally have cold hands like my fiancée). next take the grap and place it in the center of the cheese and then roll it around in your hands. Don't work it too much and just so you know, cheese WILL get onto your hands. Once the grape is covered as evenly as possible place it on a tray and refrigerate once the tray is full. Let the cheese firm up again. if you want, you can stop here OR you can then roll the grapes in something else like a herb mixture (mostly parsley) or something sweeter or crunchier.

The other idea would be why not fresh fruit tarts? You can buy these very tiny tart shells in a lot of grocery stores. Bake off the tart shells and then fill them up with some fresh fruit that is high in natural sugars (oranges, blood oranges, strawberries or preferably blueberries) ... be sure to chop them up quite fine if the fruit is larger in size. Then top them off with a drizzle of white chocolate (not really chocolate ... but oh well) or a dark chocolate that is high in cocoa butter. The high cocoa butter chocolate will cost a lot more but TRUST ME it will most definately be worth it. Not only does it taste better but it is actually healthier for you (yes .. chocolate isn't all bad for you if it is the GOOD chocolate).

you could also try making some small fresh fruit crepes. They are always a party favorite ... but thin crepes are a pain to make properly for even those who are more experienced then i am.

So there are a few ideas. hope that helps with the healthy part of your original post.

I never would have thought to mix grapes and cheese. I bet if you roll them in crushed nuts or something they aren't as messy to eat. Im liking the fruit idea.

cheese and grapes ... great combination .... yeah nuts work well. get more light flavored nuts to roll as boursin cheese is very flavorful and fragrant (not to mention extremely tasty!!!)

Serlunch I am very impressed with your recommendations! I am definitely going to have to try some of those ideas :D

Well, I took the easy way out. I just bought all natural no sugar added fruit popsicles. They were a hit! Thanks for all your help and I will definitely try some of those suggestions for myself!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom