Snails, baby!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Toirtis

God of primitive fishes
I was feeding the giant African land snails this evening and discovered about 8 white-ivory eggs (about the size of large jellybeans) buried in the substrate....should be interesting to see them hatch, as the hatchlings are surprisingly large.

Jchillin said:
Wow, way cool! You've gotta post pics of that, I'm sure many have never seen this.

I agree, we need pics! How large are the adult snails? And hatchlings?
Congrats (y)

Billsgate said:
Jchillin said:
Wow, way cool! You've gotta post pics of that, I'm sure many have never seen this.

I agree, we need pics! How large are the adult snails? And hatchlings?
Congrats (y)

The adults are currently between 6"-8" long (their shells) the 'foot' on each is more like 10"-12" when stretched out. The babies will be about the size of large marbles.

I want some!! Me ME meeee! LMAO Where would I buy those at, Im in the US. Do they make a good terrarium pet? You know with the moss and plants and dirt. What special needs do they have and what do they eat? I wanted to get a baseball snail but that needs an aquarium and I really want a big snail who can live in a beautifully planted terrarium.

OceanMaiden said:
I want some!! Me ME meeee! LMAO Where would I buy those at, Im in the US.
You would not...they are quite illegal to possess in the US, I am afraid.

Do they make a good terrarium pet?

Yes....very.

You know with the moss and plants and dirt. What special needs do they have and what do they eat?

Not much...just humidity and warmth. Diet consists of fruits and veggies...plus a cuttlebone for calcium.

tbonem91 said:
why are they illegal to own here?

Because of concern that they are potential serious agricultural pests in the southern states...an infestation in those areas could be devastating....you should see how fast just two of these guys can demolish a half-pound of carrots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom