So I just bought Bacteria

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kingfish

Aquarium Advice Regular
It said to use one cap for 10 u.s gal I have a 100 gallon does that mean I need to use 10 caps

IMG_3357.jpg

My fish was in the tank for a month and a half . They were swimming weird so my fish guy give me this

Never buy marked down bacteria products

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, one cap full for each 10 gallons / 10 caps full. Probably you have rocks and substrate so it could be somewhat less water volume, probably will not be an issue though.

If you have a test kit, monitor the water to make sure it doesn't cause an ammonia spike.

You need to know what the ammonia, the nitrIte and nitrate is frequently is there are issues, daily and maybe even 2x a day until any issues are resolved.

If your tank has been setup and with fish in for a month and a half I don't see why you need bacteria. The tank should be cycled or at least building up a natural bacteria colony. I don't use bacteria in a bottle and find it to usually just be a way to throw money away. How much time someone has been in the hobby doesn't truly show how much they have learned or know. If your LFS guy didn't ask for a water sample to test if you already have a bacteria colony then I would be a bit reluctant to to listen to his advice. Just for example, my aunt has had a tank since I was a kid(20 years or more) and she didn't even know about the nitrogen cycle.

If the tank is overstocked and the maintenance is not kept up than there is nothing you can add to remedy the situation. You need to do massive water changes. That arrowana will thank you.

If your tank has been setup and with fish in for a month and a half I don't see why you need bacteria. The tank should be cycled or at least building up a natural bacteria colony. I don't use bacteria in a bottle and find it to usually just be a way to throw money away. How much time someone has been in the hobby doesn't truly show how much they have learned or know. If your LFS guy didn't ask for a water sample to test if you already have a bacteria colony then I would be a bit reluctant to to listen to his advice. Just for example, my aunt has had a tank since I was a kid(20 years or more) and she didn't even know about the nitrogen cycle.

My arowana was swimming funny so I test the water and the ph was 7 and the 3 others was 0

Yes, one cap full for each 10 gallons / 10 caps full. Probably you have rocks and substrate so it could be somewhat less water volume, probably will not be an issue though.

If you have a test kit, monitor the water to make sure it doesn't cause an ammonia spike.

You need to know what the ammonia, the nitrIte and nitrate is frequently is there are issues, daily and maybe even 2x a day until any issues are resolved.

So day one I did 40 g day 2 I did 10g . I don’t want to shock the fish . Is that ok u think

My arowana was swimming funny so I test the water and the ph was 7 and the 3 others was 0

My fish guy ask for water test and photos always when I have fish problems

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have 0's across the board than your tank is not cycled. Water changes... quick quick. You'll lose that wana

If you have 0's across the board than your tank is not cycled. Water changes... quick quick. You'll lose that wana

If the ph is 7 and the ammonia etc is 0 should they need bacteria instead ? . 0 is very very clean already right ???

Nitrate and nitrite is 0 so I’m sure they need bacteria not water change . Do u think so

Nitrate and nitrite is 0 so I’m sure they need bacteria not water change . Do u think so

when you setup the tank did you monitor ammonia, nitrite and nitrate to make sure the tank was actually cycling? it seems odd to have 0 for everything. how is testing done? test strips or a liquid test like the api master test kit?

when you setup the tank did you monitor ammonia, nitrite and nitrate to make sure the tank was actually cycling? it seems odd to have 0 for everything. how is testing done? test strips or a liquid test like the api master test kit?

I have the Api master test kit . It shows 0 . Should I add bacteria. I change the water a week ago and I got the tank 2/3 months .

Have you ever changed the filter pads, or media, or washed off the filter media in plain tap water? If so, it would kill off beneficial bacteria and cause your cycle to begin again.

Back
Top Bottom