Sore about gas prices REad on...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And NOT pointed out in the link that debunks the cliams is, that BP and Amoco are the same company! has been for a few years.

Something that I don't understand is why doesn't the government intervene here. I mean, they intervene on just about everything else, why not gas prices? For the longest time, when we were feeling it at the pumps, the price per barrell had not increased, just the price at the pump. The oil guys were getting rich. SO now that the price has increased, they increase it even more. What is going on?! The government says how much people can charge for selling bonds, why can't they say how much oilmen can make for selling gas?

I can still remember when I was 15 (7 years ago), riding around with my friends and gas was 85 cents a gallon. If it ever gets to $3.00 a gal, I am seriously going to start looking for alternative transportation. People laugh at solar cars, but I can guarentee that the solar car owners are laughing their butts off at people who are paying $2.35 a gal.

I can still remember when I was 15 (7 years ago), riding around with my friends and gas was 85 cents a gallon
I can beat that, I remeber paying 29 cents a gallon for a minibike and a lawnmower. *Groan*

Fishyfanatic said:
The government says how much people can charge for selling bonds, why can't they say how much oilmen can make for selling gas?

Because we have an "oilman" as President?

Fishyfanatic said:
People laugh at solar cars...

Solar cars? Is there really such a thing? I'm considering a hybrid, but there are totally solar cars available?

Yes there are solar cars. I don't think that car manufacturer's actually make them but there is a guy in my home town who has 3 of them. He refuses to have a gas car. It runs off of the sun, but he used to use gas as a back up. Recently he has started using electric as the back up. Actually, now that I think about it, he has solar panels in his yard. His house is also run by solar energy.

Because we have an "oilman" as President?
I don't buy that. Gas prices have been increase since Clinton was President. Like I said, in 1997 I can remember paying 85 cents but when I turned 16 (1998) it was $1.15 and has risen ever since. I know this has to do with the war in Iraq but there has to be a limit somewhere here. I don't see why these money hungry people can't just give back to the American public instead of milking them dry.

well here ind Edmonton Canada it works out to be around $3.22 per gal. We pay per liter here so.... 84.9 per liter.

When I first started driving (only 8 years ago) it was around 42 cents per liter. More than double in eight years. it is getting out of hand.

I think gas prices are too low. If gas prices were to increase more we might see more of a push towards alternative fuels. As it is now people complain about high gas prices, but how many people seriously consider giving up their gas guzzling SUVs?
And just for reference I do drive and have to fill up my tank about 3 times a week.

I don't have a gas guzzling SUV and it is still hard on my pocket book everytime I go to the pump. My car averages about 28 MPG and if gas prices increase and keep going, it won't hardly be worth my time to even go to work. This is where the genius' at Gateway FS come in handy. They make their fuel from corn. E85.

The station down the street from me is $2.52- $2.72 a gallon.

This really hurts the folks whom have to drive 300+ miles every week just to go to work.

It sure doesn't appear that Americans are too concerned around here, judging by the size of the massive SUVs people are driving.

If you want cheaper gas, drive a smaller car and don't travel as much.

Actually, if you account for Inflation, gas is cheaper that it has been since the mid 80's.

Using 2004 / 2005 Dollars, gas in 1980 was over 3.00 a gallon (and this was the cheap stuff)..

Sure, it hurts when you spend 27 bucks filling up a SMALL CAR, but stop and think about it... ;-)

It sure doesn't appear that Americans are too concerned around here, judging by the size of the massive SUVs people are driving.

If you want cheaper gas, drive a smaller car and don't travel as much.

I don't really agree with that statement Clown. American's are concerned with gas prices that's why there is such an outcry over the prices. Yes some SUV's are big, but not all SUV drivers are bad people. I for one just bought a new Grand Am. I don't know if anyone here has one but it's a 2 door little thing. I went to pick up my nephew and he sits in a car seat. The car is not big enough to get the car seat into the backseat. It is physically impossible. SO, I had to ride with him in the front seat of the car in his car seat (1 year old). It made me think that I should have gotten the Trailblazer instead of the GrandAm. Plus, if I were to be involved in an accident with a semi (crazy drivers around here), driving the SUV would be safer than a tiny little car.

Fishyfanatic said:
SO, I had to ride with him in the front seat of the car in his car seat (1 year old).

Isn't that illegal? Or were you able to turn off the airbag?

If not illeagal, then it's *extremely* dangerous for the little guy (assuming, of course, that the airbags were functional).

No, it's not illegal, at least not in IL. It's not rear facing. I can't turn off the air bags in my car. I know it is dangerous and that's why it scares me everytime he rides in my car. That's why I usually take my parents car when I have him. They have a SUV and it just feels alot safer and I know that he is confortably in the backseat, away from airbags.

How big is this car seat? I remember baby seats that were nothing more than a white plastic shell with belts on it. Now these baby seats are 50 pound green and blue things with 30 more pounds of padding. They're huge. Find a normal small one. Same with strollers - they used to be those little folding things. Now they're nearly the size of a small car.

Anyway, if people feel compelled to have an extra 1,000 pounds of safety devices in the car for their kids - a bigger vehicle and more gasoline consumption is the price they pay.

Safety rant:

Every kid has to be strapped into a baby seat until he's 8 years old now. I'm not kidding - 8 years old. That's 2nd-3rd grade. Can you imagine showing up to school in 3rd grade in a baby seat?

Airbags. LoL. Why not just stay in bed all day wrapped in bubble-wrap?

I remember riding with my uncle when I was 5-6 years old. Riding shotgun in his green Plymouth Satellite, sliding back and forth across the vinyl bench seat along with his half-pack of Lucky's and the 2 cans of Old Milwaukee left on the ring. Foghat on the radio as he yelled out the window at people. I'm not sure that car even had seatbelts. If it did they were the last thought on anyone's mind.

I'll take those times back anyday.

How big is this car seat?

It's ALOT smaller than the pumpkin seat they had. BUT it's still a beast. It has two cup holders on the bottom of it. It is VERY hard to buckle. My brother always laughs and says that you have to have a Phd to know how to work it. It has plenty of padding and straps and probably weighs 20 lbs.

Find a normal small one.

Normal small one? I just use theirs. He's only in my car maybe twice a month. At that is normally when I just pick him up from the babysitters house after work. The rest of the time I use my parents' car.

Every kid has to be strapped into a baby seat until he's 8 years old now.

That's not in every state. Illinois just passed the law last year that says that every child under so many pounds OR 8 years old has to be in a booster seat. And they really aren't that big of a deal. Embarressing, yes, but it's not like a huge inconvenience.

Riding shotgun in his green Plymouth Satellite, sliding back and forth across the vinyl bench seat along with his half-pack of Lucky's and the 2 cans of Old Milwaukee left on the ring.

Ahh, childhood memories. I bet you also drank from the garden hose. And I bet none of your toys were ever recalled beacuse some child out of Nowhere USA broke their toy and swallowed a piece. Oh the good ol days.

Yeah, maybe not Illinois.

I think they just passed that law in Indiana. I actually did a double-take at the radio in my truck when I heard that. 8 years old. That's insane.

I just avoid going anywhere with my friends if they're gonna bring their kids. I don't want that stupid recliner-sized seat in my car. I don't want to wait 25 minutes while they install/uninstall the thing either.

I really hate safety devices...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom