Species reviews

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bettaowner

Aquarium Advice Addict
I know each fish can be different but the purpose of this thread is to provide a review about a species you kept. Provide a star rating and a short explanation . 5 stars is great and 1 star is terrible. I'll start out positive.

Pearl gourami
5 stars
This fish is amazing. It's peaceful, slow moving and great for planted tanks. I have a pair and they remind me of swans.

Very good idea. I will go next.

Angelfish 4 stars

Amazing looking fish with such a large colour variety in the species. However if you get them mixed up with the wrong fish, put them in the tank the wrong order, or have a small group they get aggressive and mean towards other fish. If you get that correct then you have an amazing fish. My 3 angels recognise me and will only eat the food I give them. Love them.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

This is an AWESOME idea. I vote we expand it to plants too. I'll go next. Let's do separate posts for each review, and leave chit chat to a minimum (so everyone can read the reviews).

Also adding pictures might be a good bonus.

Rummy Nose Tetra (Hemigrammus Bleheri)

4.5 stars

The only thing keeping this fish from a perfect rating is its frailness upon introduction. For the first 3 weeks in your tank, it will be somewhat fragile and susceptible to diseases (quarantining is a good idea). Afterwards it become an incredible fish. Very hardy, will eat anything, and beautiful.

Here is one of mine:

Bloodfin Tetra (Aphyocharax Anisitsi)

3.5 stars

This is a great and hardy fish. My only complaints are that mine had short lifespans (1 year after purchasing they were pretty much all gone), and can get nippy at times. I'd recommend a species only tank or a tank without shy or long-tailed fish.

That's just my experience.

Oooo I love this!

Sinibotia Longiventralis

5 stars

Although these fish have relatively unique habitat requirements and don't fit in well in the average community tank, they are MORE than worth a special setup. Surprisingly adaptable and hardy. They are generally very peaceful to other fish, so anything that is happy in high flow and slightly cooler temps will be perfect tankmates. At the same time, they are extremely active and their antics are arguably the most enthralling of any species of fish I've kept. When you lose one of these fish, it hurts for weeks. I can't recommend them enough. (If you can find them.....)

Boesemans rainbowfish

5 stars

Lovely looking fish. Mine have never been aggressive and very hardy amazing fish.

Harlequin rasbora

5 stars

Very hardy, great community fish, looks great

Fishobsessed7

Here's the first "plant" for

Marimo moss ball
4.5 stars

It's actually an algae but a beautiful species. I've had lots of luck with it in tropical and cold water. My only problem is this thing is a substrate magnet. If you have sand or really loose substrate, it will stick to the moss ball. Super hardy organism but it has a really slow growth rate.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

dwarf gourami
4.5 stars
they are grate community fish only problem is very vanrable to fin nippers or can be aggressive if messed with lol

African butterfly fish

5 stars

Like no other. Calm and peaceful said to eat small fish but I've never seen this happen with mine. Amazing looking and acting fish. Throw a cricket in the tank if you want some extra fun with this fish. Probably my favourite of all fish.

I have a species that sadly I need to give a really bad review.

Macropodus ocellatus or round tail paradise fish

I'll be nice and give 2 stars.

This is perhaps the most aggressive fish I've ever kept. I purchased a male female pair in hopes of breeding them. I had them in quarantine and my male jumped out over night. Bummer but it was my fault for forgetting to put the cover back on. After quarantine I moved the female to my 29 gallon tank that was being used as grow out for my koi angel. They fought for a few days but they seemed to settle down. About a month later she snapped and killed my angel. She had the whole tank to herself. I don't like saying it but I'm kind of glad she's not around anymore. I don't know if I just had really bad luck. If any one has any ideas feel free to tell me what happened. It's kind of of the main topic but I was really confused she was fine with the cherry barbs and honey gouramis at the shop.

Paradise fish aka paradise gouramis very aggressive. Species only tanks

Sent from my Zeepad 7DRK using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Botia kubotai
5 stars

This loach is super peaceful and does a great job at consuming snails. If you like the look of the black and white yoyo loach, you'll love this peaceful alternative.

molly
grate community fish not to hardy when it comes to ich

freshwater \bracish water

Sulawesi Cardinal shrimp

5 stars

From 1 to 10 over other shrimp types they get a 10. Very hard to keep compared to Neos. They don't eat much of any man made foods nor natural foods that don't grow in the natural habitat. Much research should be done to keep them. Swimming, hiding, eating and alertness is totally different. If you love shrimp then give them a try..

Sent from my VS950 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Here's a favorite of mine that I advise to advanced fish keepers only.
Microphis decota
4 stars
Microphis decota is a freshwater pipefish and a really cool looking one too. Like I said this is for advanced fish keepers only. Mine ate moina but I would imagine they would eat daphnia and brine shrimp too. The only thing I wish is that they could be kept with other community fish like tetras but that's not something anyone can control. Still a cool fish and fun to watch.

I have a ton of fish that I absolutely love... And some that I have not.

my pipe fish are thriving in my community tank but I think we have a different kind
Pipe fish- 5 stars
These are the most beautiful fish ever, they glide through the tank so nicely and will make you laugh when they get near the filter and flip around and glide back to the other side of the tank. They are very curious... Every time I have my hand in the tank they are right by it. They also don't seem as easily stressed as typical fish.... I had a hell of a time catching some giant danios and while every other fish was running with them the pipe fish kept getting in my way and hanging out by my hand lol... You do need to have extra time and patience to target feed them as they are slow eaters.

Rope fish- I have 2, when I had one it really didn't do anything after getting the second it's personality really took over. They slink around the tank going over every bottom dweller I have but not really bothering them. They ate our ghost shrimp but I believe that to be an accident because the ghost shrimp seemed to actively fight them over the beef heart! My rope fish would be tugging at it and the ghost shrimp wouldn't get off... Just would remain on it.... I buy a few ghost shrimp here and there because they are fun to watch and if they end up being food well that's fine.

Bamboo shrimp - these things are hilarious to watch... They put out their little 'fan fingers'and catch food all day. Once in a great while they will fight with each other and that is funny to watch as well... Like they rumble with their arms punching each other. I've only witnessed this 2 times but it's always over super quick and they go right back to putting their hands out for food.

Elephant nose - I haven't had him long enough to have any bad feelings about him... It's been 2 weeks and he is a pure joy. I target feed him black worms. Haven't noticed him being aggressive

The worst fish I ever had was a rainbow shark. He was my husband's pick and was mean as hell. He went back to the store.

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Bolivian Rams

5 Stars

Peaceful and make a great community fish. Also hardy unlike the german blue ram. Have a lot of personality

Fishobsessed7

Otocinclus

2 Stars

Brought 9 twice for a 110litre tank filled with algae and plants. They all died except one. So over a month 17 of these guys died in my tank. Hardly touched the algae and were always on their own never in a group. Still have no idea how they died. Water params all fine and no bullies in the tank. The two stars is because they didn't devour my plants in their short life.

Back
Top Bottom