Species speeches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bettaowner

Aquarium Advice Addict
I decided to start this thread to discuss some of the fish frequently sold at pet stores that are misunderstood or just shouldn't be sold. I'll post a new speech after a few days. If anyone has any comments or suggestions feel free to post a reply. The first species I'll talk about is perhaps one of the most misunderstood and mistreated species.

Goldfish (carassius auratus)

Goldfish are sold at almost every pet store and are generally recognized as a great starter fish. This is where the problem starts. Most pet stores sell young goldfish and won't acknowledge the fact that these are messy fish that will get larger than most people expect. It doesn't help that most people are under the impression that goldfish can thrive in small tanks or fish bowls. I'm not saying that goldfish shouldn't be sold, rather pet stores should treat goldfish like a delicate species. My lfs makes sure that people who buy difficult to keep species can provide a suitable environment. If we can do our part and educate the public that these fish are not disposable creatures, then we can make a difference in the lives of many beautiful fish.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I frequently give my friends speeches and tell them how to take care of their tank if they are doing incorrectly or over stocking (i do it gently and politely however XD)

Best of luck in your crusade fellow aquarist! - Raymond

Your so right. I went into this thinking it would be easy. Ha was I ever wrong. Don't get me wrong my daughter and I love this hobby. We were given awful advice to start. Here's how it happened we let the tank run for 12-24 hours and filled it with fish from cold water koi and goldfish, to tetras, guppies and a Chineese algae eater ( extremely Aggressive while the other fish are very peaceful) I should note this was all in a 10 gal tank with a filter, no heater or air bubbler. Who knew. The CAE was killing my guppies, my koi were getting huge. So I got a 20 gal long. Still no heat or air and guppies still dying. This went on for about 8 weeks. Finally I find this site, got help and tips from privately owned exotic pet store and an asst mgr of a lfs. It was hard giving up the koi but I knew they wouldn't live they way they should. I now upgraded to a 29 gal tank and for the first time I've gone 3 days with no fish dying. It took 3 months, this site, regular trips to the 2 lfs, and ALOT of reading. Thank you google.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm really glad there's many posts bout this I'm sad to say I was one of these people myself but i learned and now that goldfish I kept in a bowl helped me learn and he is I mean she is now a giant in a 30 gallon another side note to add is about the pacu my lfs sells and stocks them in 20 in a 10 gallon tank terrible

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Red Tailed Catfish should probably be on your list. Not many people have the ability to house on of these at full size.

Speaking of catfish tiger shovelnoses should be listed aswell both catfishes hybrid looks nice but massive:hide: look out there's giant catfish around

Sorry I haven't been posting. I feel that after the goldfish, the betta is one of the most mistreated species. I'll be getting to tank busting species later but I'd like to talk about bettas. These fish don't get huge or messy like goldfish but they are usually kept in tanks that are too small for them. I'm not saying you can't have a desktop tank with a betta. I simply believe that people who are planning to buy a half gallon tank for their betta should do their research.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom