Spyware

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reefrunner69

Aquarium Advice Addict
Looking for what spyware combinations you guys use, only criteria is they got to be free. I personally use adaware and spybot, but adaware is no longer free and I'm trying to help someone get their computer fixed up.

Kevin....

The best overall spyware removal tool that I've used is a product by Webroot called SpySweeper. It is also not free but there is a thirty day, fully functional, updateable version available on their web site ( http://www.webroot.com ). Go to the 'Downloads' section and in the area under 'Try It' you will see all of the 30 day downloads available. If all you're trying to do is clean the computer up then this is definitely the way to go. You can download it, update it, run it, clean the computer up and then uninstall it (or leave it on the computer for 30 days).

A note: you can't be clever and uninstall it and then try to reinstall it again. It leaves a registry entry behind even after uninstall that will prevent you from successfully re-installing after the trial period is over.

CWShredder is free, I think, my husband swears by that. I use Spybot and Adaware, and I got Pest Patrol when I upgraded my Zone Alarm firewall.

Also Hijackthis is good for locating things in the registry, but then you have to go online and get someone experienced to tell you what you need to delete and what to keep.

I use Webroot Spy Sweeper. It's not freeware, except for the evaluation version, but you get continuous dat file updates and version updates. Pretty cool, easy to set up and worth the little cash they want. I understand that many people want the free stuff, but as I always tell my friends/relatives "You get what you pay for". :wink:

8)

Fruitbat said:
A note: you can't be clever and uninstall it and then try to reinstall it again. It leaves a registry entry behind even after uninstall that will prevent you from successfully re-installing after the trial period is over.

That's why it is always useful to have a utility called Registry Mechanic. Cleans up your registry like there is no tomorrow. 8O I now have it installed on all my windoze pc. :wink:

8)

I've not been able to find one, I think it's been pay for play for the last 6months to a year. If you got it free...don't delete it, the personal edition costs money now.

Once you have spybot installed, check in the immunize section(I believe) and there will be a link to a program called Spyware Blaster that blocks a lot of cookies and bad pages from loading.

Me 5

i use Adaware SE and Spybot Search and Destroy along with Zone Alarm, Norton
and alot of other things

reefrunner69 said:
I've not been able to find one, I think it's been pay for play for the last 6months to a year. If you got it free...don't delete it, the personal edition costs money now.

I ummm..."borrowed" mine from my IT people. They can give me the latest versions as they come out. Sorry I didn't mention it earlier.

Goto www.lavasoft.de and click to download the Personal edition. Its still free. "Ad-Aware Personal edition is free for non-commercial use."

Its called Adware SE. I use that and I'm also using the Microsoft Antispyware software that's in public beta (free). www.microsoft.com

As you know, you need to use more then one product to catch all of the crap that's out there. Antispyware software is not as refined or standardized as anti virus. I also use Pest Patrol from CA but that's a purchased product.

I've used spybot. I use AVG virus software which I think does a decent job of noticing things, but who knows. Yes, anyone who isn't familiar with the immunize function of those programs learn them soon. Another thing I've used with IE(version 6 only) is gogodata adbuster. It's a popup blocker that works really well. It also has an online spyware searcher as well as an immunize function. There are a few things out there that are just too stubborn for any free programs. At least once infected. You might already know this, but if you know what the files are you can usually manually remove them from the registry by booting to safe mode. My mom's pc had something called tvmedia or somrething that I could not close, shutdown, or even block from starting up. Try to delete it from the registry, it just pops back up. But in safe mode you click delete it's gone... Good luck with it. I've also heard great things about spysweeper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom