starting maintenance on fish tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nimo

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Mu daughters school has a fish tank that was donated to them as a memorial for a child who passed away while attending school there. It has been lacking proper maintenance for a while because no one there knows how to take care of it. I did not personaly know the child in which it was dedicated for but I felt really bad that it has dropped from the grand tank that was donated to the shape it is in.
I was able to get donations from fellow hobbiests in my area for items needed to fix this tank back up.
I am going armed with what I have donated my self along with what I recieved from friends today to get this fish tank back in shape in the morning.
Its gonna need at minimum a 75%water change then alot of love and cleaning.
I couldnt immagine loosing one of my kids so young. I wanna make this little angel in heaven proud of his fish tank. Sorry for double and side ways pics this is some of the things donated.
The test kit is brand new!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20131212_204617.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131212_204617.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 137
  • ForumRunner_20131212_204640.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131212_204640.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 115
The filters were dontated from my local privatly owned fish shop. Isnt that awsome!
All donations to the little guys tank is awsome.

ForumRunner_20131212_204908.jpg

That's very nice gesture of you to take this on. The tank looks in decent shape. Best of luck with it......

Worked on the schools tank for 5 hours today. Had to do two water changes but now test readings are
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 60
Ph 7.6
I couldnt get pics because my phone wasnt working right but it looks alot better and atleast I got the ammonia down.
The nitrates are still too high but I will get um down more on the next water change.

Worked on the schools tank for 5 hours today. Had to do two water changes but now test readings are
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 60
Ph 7.6
I couldnt get pics because my phone wasnt working right but it looks alot better and atleast I got the ammonia down.
The nitrates are still too high but I will get um down more on the next water change.
Fair play to you mate....

Right now the stock is
1 platy
3 danios
1 common pleco.
One of the teachers bought fish to put in there but they all died except these 5.
The stock that was bought when the tank was first indtalled has been gone for a long time.
I am open for ideas for stock.
I know eventualy the common pleco is going to have to be rehomed but for now he is ok.
I do how ever need ideas for a nice community tank kid friendly that wont cost alot to stock it.

The teachers and children were all very full of thank yous while I was working.
The janitor even handed me an extra key to his closet because its the closest place with a sink to the tank. Everyone has been very nice and thankful. That just makes me feel all the better about working on this tank.
The children comming thru looking to see what I was doing and the teachers allowing the kids to ask questions and let me answer was sooo cool.
I am now "Mrs fish Lady" at the school lol. And thats fine with me.

The teachers and children were all very full of thank yous while I was working.
The janitor even handed me an extra key to his closet because its the closest place with a sink to the tank. Everyone has been very nice and thankful. That just makes me feel all the better about working on this tank.
The children comming thru looking to see what I was doing and the teachers allowing the kids to ask questions and let me answer was sooo cool.
I am now "Mrs fish Lady" at the school lol. And thats fine with me.
Who knows how many of the kids you may turn into future aquarists!!!

Who knows how many of the kids you may turn into future aquarists!!!

I think even some of the teachers are more interested lol
I had lots of questions ask by kids and teachers.
I know my kids will probly be aquerists especialy my littlist one.

This is the tank I am going to set up for QT for the school.
I also have another one that I havent seen yet that has been donated. I have to go meet the doner to pick it up.

ForumRunner_20131214_090922.jpg

Wow what a great thing you are doing!! Best way to show your kids to be kind to others and help any way you can is to do it yourself! This makes me wanna cry!! :) what size tank? If you are close to me I've got some sunset and wag tail Platies and 2 angels I am willing to give up. I'm in Indiana and with the wether I couldn't ship them.

Wow what a great thing you are doing!! Best way to show your kids to be kind to others and help any way you can is to do it yourself! This makes me wanna cry!! :) what size tank? If you are close to me I've got some sunset and wag tail Platies and 2 angels I am willing to give up. I'm in Indiana and with the wether I couldn't ship them.

Thank you! I thought the same thing as far as teaching my kids about helping out. My husband was upset that the school had not been taking care of the tank properly. I told him they didnt know what to do. The teachers were trying but they didnt know exactly how.
He is supporting me all the way.
Unfortunatly I am in Virginia and I agree with you unless you have the proper means of shipping its not a good idea to try to in this weather. I really appriciate the thought tho.

Back
Top Bottom