Stop betta abuse !!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish_lover

Aquarium Advice Freak
I hope everyone on this forum will read this but I bet 90% won't because betta fish are so misunderstood people think they can just throw them in a vase or little bowl that's smaller than 0.3 gallons :( , but bettas actually need 3-10 gallons the best are 5 , 8 , and 10 and if you don't have enough money to buy them a 3-10 gallon tank , heater , good food , treats , a liquid water test kit , plants , etc than don't even bother getting one , just because stores sell them in little cups doesn't mean they have to go in a 1- gallon bowl , if you've ever heard that betta fish live in puddles in the wild , its a myth , they use puddles to travel to huge bodies of water , and the longest they will live in a puddle is 2-5 days if they have to but they don't enjoy it , that is why they are good jumpers and they have a labrynth gill so they don't need oxygen in the water , I hope all the 10% of people on this forum that read this now understands the some of the proper needs of a betta fish and I hope they do not misunderstand betta fish anymore

My betta lives in his 16gallon so he's a happy boy! And I agree with you they shouldn't be put in small tanks:)

From what I have seen on this forum the majority of people here understand proper Betta care. Mine lives in a planted 10g and I have another in a 5.5 because he is ultra lazy and doesnt swim anyway(probably because his fins are like 2.5x the length of his body)

From what I have seen on this forum the majority of people here understand proper Betta care. Mine lives in a planted 10g and I have another in a 5.5 because he is ultra lazy and doesnt swim anyway(probably because his fins are like 2.5x the length of his body)

Oh well I'm new to the forum and I saw a couple of people that keep their bettas in small "tanks" and this one person kept two female betta fish in one 1/2 gallon vase with each other

all of my bettas either have 5g tanks or 3g tanks! I also have a 10g tank and as soon as I get enought money to buy a heater, filter, gravel ect, then I'm gonna look into either starting a sorority or getting a king betta!

I don't think that putting bettas in such small areas is really a "misunderstanding" of the fish. It is a misunderstanding of the hobby of fishkeeping in general - those who put bettas in tiny bowls will most likely put other things in inadequate homes. Most people on here that I have seen have their bettas in good homes of 2.5g+, which are filtered and heated. I don't think that anyone who knows good fish care in general would put a betta in a tiny enclosure, so I really don't think this particular fish has a giant misunderstanding about it as you seem to suggest.

all of my bettas either have 5g tanks or 3g tanks! I also have a 10g tank and as soon as I get enought money to buy a heater, filter, gravel ect, then I'm gonna look into either starting a sorority or getting a king betta!

Good! Definitely get a king betta, they're so active! Here's my old boy duece xP he used to jump out of the water for food. The guy lasted 2 years plus however long he was in the cup at petco. I almost didn't realize he was dead, since he was just on the bottom floating upright... Ill miss him. I kept him in a 15 column :)

Attachments

• image-1919782864.jpg
    image-1919782864.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 446
  • image-4184704422.jpg
    image-4184704422.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 393
  • image-2381413366.jpg
    image-2381413366.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 412
I'm kinda on the fence about what I would like more! My mom really likes the king bettas, last time we were in the petstore she saw one about 3 or 3 1/2 inches long and she just loved him!! She would have gotten him if we had a tank for him!

I'm kinda on the fence about what I would like more! My mom really likes the king bettas, last time we were in the petstore she saw one about 3 or 3 1/2 inches long and she just loved him!! She would have gotten him if we had a tank for him!

You can pick whichever you'd like, I ran a betta sorority for quite some time to, and you know why? To try to he my king and them to breed ;) unfortunately it didn't work, resulting in the death of all my females... The guy is just too big :/

Anyway here are some pics of the setup. Very simple, and they shared the home with my juvie EBR who they got along with very well :)

Attachments

• image-3513382863.jpg
    image-3513382863.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 381
  • image-325184568.jpg
    image-325184568.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 373
  • image-1052600064.jpg
    image-1052600064.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 349
if i knew for sure that a betta wouldn't mess with shrimp i would get one. there so pretty!

Awesome !! :D

I don't think that putting bettas in such small areas is really a "misunderstanding" of the fish. It is a misunderstanding of the hobby of fishkeeping in general - those who put bettas in tiny bowls will most likely put other things in inadequate homes. Most people on here that I have seen have their bettas in good homes of 2.5g+, which are filtered and heated. I don't think that anyone who knows good fish care in general would put a betta in a tiny enclosure, so I really don't think this particular fish has a giant misunderstanding about it as you seem to suggest.

Oh we'll you're right I worded it wrong

I have my betta in a 5 G with java moss hornwort and some smaller plants I don't know the name of he's sharing the home with some snails and he goes straight to the same spot when I feed him!!

Hi, fellow Fish_lover! I'm in agreement with you about treating bettas kindly. When I see them in their teeny tiny bowls at the pet store, I always want to buy them all and give each one a nice, roomy new home :)
I have a crowntail male in a 5g for now, but when I get my 55g (have SER-ious MultiTank Syndrome, haha), I'm going to move him to my 15g column, like Surfer has.
Bettas are just magnificent. I'd love to have a house full of them.

Hi, Surfer, sorry for the loss of your betta pal. I'm planning to move my crowntail betta Renji to a 15g column soon, and I like the setup in your pics. Could you tell me what kind of plants and rocks you have in there?
Thanks!

I got one in a 20 gallon high and another in a 20 long. But I am transferring one ( 20 L) to a new 10 gallon :(.

Yesterday I may have saved 1 betta from a horrible life and another one I did save from a horrible life. One was in petsmart where a lady and her daughter where gonna buy one and get one of those horrible little 0.5 gal or something cubes. I spent like half an hour explaining everything to her and convinced her so she's gonna use an empty 10 gal they got at their house. The other one was a baby female my gf was gonna get and put in one of those cubes. I talked to her and put my foot down and were not gonna get her one until we get a bigger tank with everything.

Back
Top Bottom