Swim with sharks, sorta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah.... I don't know if I'm down with that. I haven't even been certified for scuba yet. I love thrills but that my be a bit much for me, heh.

In about a week I'll be in Kaua'i snorkeling, and my biggest fear is definitely sharks. I really don't know what I'd do if I saw one approaching...maybe have a major heart attack and die right there and then! 8O

Holly, if you ever get a chance to go to Newport, OR, there is an incredible aquarium there that has glass tunnels you walk through, and sharks swim all around you. Amazing. They built all that a few years ago from all the unexpected money they made during Keiko the Orca's stay with them.

Myriam, I've been to the Newport aquarium :) I was born and raised in Oregon. I only moved up to Seattle about 5 years ago (I think). I haven't been in years, well before Keiko was ever there though. I think the family is going to rent a big beach house this summer like we used to though so maybe I'll get a chance to see it then :)

My mom and grandma are in Hawaii together right now. I'm so jealous. You lucky dog! :) Don't have a heart attack snorkeling! I remember my father and mother went on a trip and they saw octopus and shark but lived to tell the tail. You'll be fine!

Wheee! I'll be in the Caribbean next week and I'd be thrilled to swim/snorkel/scuba with sharks...or barracudas....or anything LOL I haven't been swimming in the ocean since I got married 4 years ago. Hubby is a non swimmer.

The last time I snorkeled was off St Lucia. Saw a couple of barracudas, but the coolest thing was actually the squid. They were small, black, and lined up next to each other about a foot apart. I got onto the end of the line and played squid for a while *grin* Then the native guys who ran the boat were spear fishing for their dinners; they were busy showing me what they had caught. Really neat!

I did some snorkeling down along the east coast of Mexico (Playa del Carmen) last summer. I used to snorkel and SCUBA off the coast of Turkey many years ago but the bottom there was mostly sand with very little coral or other structure. I saw plenty of sharks there and was never molested by any of them (they averaged about 6 feet and were mostly black-tip types with the occasional Tiger Shark). Didn't see any sharks in Mexico but diving the world's second largest coral reef was an INCREDIBLE experience!! My 10-year-old daughter loved it too!

I did some snorkling in Looe Key in Key West, awesome time, even if I did have trouble getting the whole equalizing thing. Saw some barracuda (here's a pic). My wife and I stayed in a beachfront house with a long pier outside, and every day we'd go out to the end of the pier and hang out for a bit. Well, every day there were huge barracuda hovering at the surface of the water, and one day a huge nurse shark swam by. I really want to go again.

With this year's tax return, I am going to get certified in SCUBA and hopefully get a volunteer position at the Baltimore Aquarium. Then I'll get to feed sharks and rays all the time!

Well last year in Kaua'i I was happily snorkeling in some shallow water, when I saw a large moray eel swimming towards me. Have you seen the teeth on those things?! 8O Needless to say I did a very quick 180 and got the heck outta there! I'm such a chicken :lol:

Your guys' experiences sound awesome. I'm dying to go to Mexico and the Caribbean...someday!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom