Tank measurements...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Somethingfishy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Excuse my ignorance, but why does your 10G look like my 40G, unless I get my calculations wrong?
The dimensions of my 48 x 12 x 18, which I thought was a 40G?

Or was the picture just taken very close to the tank?

Beautiful looking tank though.

somethingfishy...(oh man, I have such the urge to use your name as a pun for what I'm gonna say.... :D )

I don't have a tape measure near me, and my tank is at home, but those dimentions, assuming they're in inches, don't seem like a 40 gallon at all. two feet long by one feet wide by a foot and some tall? Yeah, that sounds like my 10....

-j

At the top of the page is a link to our calculators, one of them is a tank volume calc. But the measurments given by something_fishy would come to...45 gallons.

The measurements provided by hisc1ay would come to...15 gallons

A ten gallon tank measures 20" L X 10" W X 12" T.

It was probably the camera angle that made it look so large. Try using the powerhead for a size reference and I think you'll see it can't be 48" long.

Two more posts appeared in the time I was responding.

Very odd, as I thought it was a 4' x 1' x 1.5' (foot). Now I am really confused.

According to the calculator I have a 44G.

There are many different configuations of tanks.

For example I have a 45 gal tank that is 3' X 12" X 24" or there about. This I refer to as a 45 Gal SHOW tank or a 45 Tall. It is the same volume as your tank but is shorter and taller.

ALso you have the 20 Gal High tanks and the 20 Gal Long tank.

I have what I refer to as a 80 Gal Long because its 72" long vs the 48" that many 80 gal tanks measure.

I was following this thread along and I think I know where the confusion started.

Somethingfishy Wrote:
The dimensions of my 48 x 12 x 18, which I thought was a 40G?
Which is close enough (44 or 45 gallons).

hisc1ay Wrote:
two feet long by one feet wide by a foot and some tall? Yeah, that sounds like my 10....
Yours is 14g. However, Somethingfishy's is four feet long by one feet wide by a foot and a half tall.

I know that this will sound weird but the difference in the tanks is twice the length and then half the hight added on. Roughly 15g twice = 30g plus 50% = 45g.

Now, you should be thoroughly confused. :?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom