Tanked

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A few days ago I watched an episode were they built a coffin tank for some type of store. They put some skirt tetras, dragon gobies, and bubble eyed goldfish in the tank. Several of each of these. The tank looked like it was around 60 gallons. That is just a guess. I didn't know goldfish could live with tetras or in a tropical tank.

What you guys see in the tank when it's aired isn't the final stocking. They put a crap ton of fish to show off the tank. Then they remove most of them.

Also, the tanks all get paid to be maintained.

So yes, it gives the wrong idea to newbies. But it's not like they're killing as much fish as you think. The only tank I know of that went badly was the gumball tank. The chiller couldn't handle the heat.

This is the most true thing in this thread. They do much much much more off scenes than what all you guys see. The overstock the crap outta tanks for the show then remove most of them.

What you guys see in the tank when it's aired isn't the final stocking. They put a crap ton of fish to show off the tank. Then they remove most of them.

Also, the tanks all get paid to be maintained.

So yes, it gives the wrong idea to newbies. But it's not like they're killing as much fish as you think. The only tank I know of that went badly was the gumball tank. The chiller couldn't handle the heat.

So funny cause I was just about to say I love serendipity and I went past and didn't see that gum ball tank last time I was there. That has to be the dumbest idea ever! A saltwater tank outside in the desert with extreme heat and cold? Idiots!!!

I don't watch Tanked much. I have seen a few episodes. I agree that the stocking they display is not always the best choice, but like others have said, it is usually only short-term. The conditions are sometimes better than they seem and the tanks get cleaned more often than we think. They run a huge business and are likely experts. I don't have a problem with that. I do, however, don't like how they do so without explaining the thought process behind their choices or the fact that it is temporary. It gives the wrong message to beginners who watch the show. One day, someone is going to put 50 angelfish in a 30 gallon because the guys on Tanked did it. Basically, if you know your stuff, Tanked is an inspiring and entertaining show. But I wouldn't use it as a source of information.

I don't watch Tanked much. I have seen a few episodes. I agree that the stocking they display is not always the best choice, but like others have said, it is usually only short-term. The conditions are sometimes better than they seem and the tanks get cleaned more often than we think. They run a huge business and are likely experts. I don't have a problem with that. I do, however, don't like how they do so without explaining the thought process behind their choices or the fact that it is temporary. It gives the wrong message to beginners who watch the show. One day, someone is going to put 50 angelfish in a 30 gallon because the guys on Tanked did it. Basically, if you know your stuff, Tanked is an inspiring and entertaining show. But I wouldn't use it as a source of information.

I agree whole heartedly.

Back
Top Bottom