Tanked question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bix22

Aquarium Advice Freak
I saw an episode of Tanked and they had goldfish in with tetras and drAgonfish
Is this possible in real life?

Do you know the specific names of the fish they put in? A quick look at a few profiles to see temperature ranges would tell you for sure.

I personally would not trust tanked. They seem to overstock every tank they have ever done. Also, none of those fish seem compatible with each other, goldfish require cold water, dragon fish are a brackish species.

+1 don't mimic those guys, they are primarily interested in up front satisfaction and I'm sure plenty of their tanks have turned into disasters down the road.

They should be charged with promoting cruelty to animals

Dragon fish can acutally be in both.

Dragonfish are wild caught in brackish and thrown into freshwater by the suppliers. What survives is then sent to stores and sold as freshwater to those who don't have a clue and won't take the time to research. The fish will survive but not thrive, eventually losing it's slime coat and becoming more susceptible to disease.

It works the same as other brackish fish, they can be converted to either time of water, and some can be moved to full salt. Ive kept dragon fish for years.

Same as if a fish would leave the brackish water in the wild and move farther up stream to a freshwater area.

I caught an episode yesterday (I'm in the UK so I'm behind) where they made a tank in an old television set. It only looked small but contained a mixture of bala sharks, red tipped sharks etc. That will end up in carnage for that poor kid,. :banghead:

I caught an episode yesterday (I'm in the UK so I'm behind) where they made a tank in an old television set. It only looked small but contained a mixture of bala sharks, red tipped sharks etc. That will end up in carnage for that poor kid,. :banghead:

Yeah that episode is hated because of the stocking. Just plain stupid.

This was the day after I had tried to explain to my partner that our 4ft 240litre tank is too small for balas. So you can imagine the conversations after watching that show! :mad:

I saw an episode of Tanked and they had goldfish in with tetras and drAgonfish
Is this possible in real life?

Goldfish are coldwater fish and tetras are tropicals. They should not be kept together for the obvious reason of needing different temp's to thrive. But goldfish are also dirty fish that produce copious amounts of waste and ammonia requiring a lot of filtration and WC's. It is best to keep coldwater fish separate from tropicals. Yes people keep them together but it is a bad situation for all the fish involved. Goldfish kept at higher temps have shorter life spans.

This was the day after I had tried to explain to my partner that our 4ft 240litre tank is too small for balas. So you can imagine the conversations after watching that show! :mad:
LOL thats hilarious, but sad for the fishies, i recall the episode and was so pissed! Alot of their tanks are amazing however, if only they would stock them right :facepalm:

IMO the worst part of it is that after people see these shows, those that have never had fish before, think it's absolutely fine to stock tanks like this since these guys are suppose to be "experts". They always overstock and use many unsuitable fish. I think it was last season they did a "koi" tank for a business and they put in a ton of smaller 5-6" koi and also added fancy goldfish if I remember right. I think we have 15 koi in a 4000g pond and down the road am afraid we'll need a bigger or second larger pond to split the group up.

I watched tanked for a time but when the TV set tank episode aired, I was pretty darn close to throwing my tv out in the yard. If I recall there was a Bala shark or two, and a few rainbow sharks...in a tiny tankI felt horrible for the kid who was all happy about his new tank but I'm guessing In about a month or two his fish were dead.

No matter what they did or the way they stock the tanks someone would always slag them off

Some of the cichlid tanks they do have to be stocked that way to stop aggression

What you also need to take into account is they also maintain the tanks they install so they can add and remove fish as they grow

Them guys do that as a job and make good money out of it yet you slag them off about certain things yet you probably take the word of a spotty teenager who just works in your local fish shop at weekends

Back
Top Bottom