Tank's beauty

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MisticX

Aquarium Advice Freak
what do you guys think?
a tank is more beautiful if it's nice planted and has a good water color (transparent ... ) or is it when the life in it is booming (specially the fish)

because (not to be a jerk) but I've seen a couple of tanks on the forum that have driftwood, plants and all that ... but almost no fish
To be VERY honest i find it's crappish when you buy an AQUARIUM and you only put plants in it
now ... i do not want to emotionally harm any of you here, but i would love to have your opinions at the same time

Beauty in my eyes is to recreate a specific ecosystem. I am unsure of how anyone could improve upon what Mother Nature already offers...

I agree with the two above posts. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I'll give you an example. I look at a lot of FW aquascaping, the posters have a beautiful scapes. I love the themes and whether it is heavily planted with a few fish, I look at the plants and the way it is set up and am like, "WOW"! I come from the SW side and live rock is not always pretty, at least to folks who are unfamiliar with it, but can look at it and see all the other things that are growing on it an how the setup is "almost" perfect and again say, "WOW"! I do agree some set ups aren't that great, but if you watch and care is taken, the original tank can take on a life of it's own.
Remember, some thing take time and I find myself aquascaping my tanks to "mimic" or "invent" my own idea of what I like.

The worst thing I have ever seen is a tank with nothing but fish in it, just a box of water dosn't make a aquarium in my opinion, I know thats not what you ment but the decorartion can add a lot to the tank. My tank is heavly planted and althogh I do have a lot of fish in it you carn't see them all a once cos they can hide which makes it much more intresting to watch ( although dose make doing a reaguar head count hard)

I think there should be an adequate amount of both. Personally, I don't think the fish actually care what kind of decor they have, as they will search out their own space.

IMO, I do feel that there should always be a place for every fish inhabitant, albeit, a rock, cave, plant, sunroom, beer can or used Volvo. Somewhere they can go to call their own. I liken it to the great "American Fish Dream."

JMO.

Bob R

Any well thought out tank is eye candy. I have a blackwater tank that is probably one of the nicest tanks I have ever owned. Lighting is somewhat diminished due to the tanins in the water, but it is a looker. I also have a Rift Lake tank that is void of green, just as pleasing to the eye. Biotopic tanks, in my opinion, cannot be rivaled, whether it be all rockwork, blackwater or heavily planted, iwagumi style. It's all eye candy.

i must veto on the heavily planted.
you create an aquarium to have fish in it... when fish are no longer see-able ... better forget the aquarium, create a garden or so better

i must veto on the heavily planted.
you create an aquarium to have fish in it... when fish are no longer see-able ... better forget the aquarium, create a garden or so better

It really depends on your fish stock as to whether you see them in a "heavily" planted aquarium. Some fish are just naturally shy, while others beg for attention. Also...when you don't see enough of your fish and it bothers you,its time to whip out the snips and do some trimming. I have a moderately-heavy planted 29g tank, and I love seeing the fish disappear into the background and reappear somewhere else as if they were playing hide and seek.

Just my .02

For example, I love Rich311k's 36 gallon tank. I'd call it heavily planted. Just in this photo I can see his three angels, a few raspboras, some pristella tetras, and an albino cory.

img_871510_0_ea8616a6bed0ce40827f5d0aa913cc0c.jpg

I agree with Black Hills. I love the ecosystem approach, using plants and various types of animals, I like to have there be motion in the tank at all times, and a variety of colors and shapes to mix up the picture. I think the fish should be able to hide if they want to, but feel comfortable enough to come out often. The plants are a soft backdrop to the colors of the fish, and really add to the whole environment of a tank. Not to mention the added exitement of watching the plants grow in an underwater garden at the same time.

i think rich's tank is splendid

good quantities of plants and at same time fish...

now remove 10 of his fish and add 2-3-4 plants ... what would you think of that ?

As far as fish stock goes in Rich's 36, I'd say the bioload is pretty low. I do agree with you though Mistic, there's a bit of a line of balance between fish and plants. For example, a heavily planted 55gallon tank with 8 cory cats and a few harlequin rasboras would be quite boring to me.

Back
Top Bottom