Tattooed balloon molly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheCrazyFishLady

Aquarium Advice Addict
So, today as I was at a pet store that sold the tattooed balloon mollys and dyed (?) tetras, ADFs, and the GMO glofish in one of their tanks. The mollys had various tattoos, like heart and tiger stripes. One guy walked up to the employee in the fish section and asked if he could special order ones with sports teams names. The employee said yes and asked which team he would like.

Um.... what???? That sounds crazy to me, personally. But, I just couldn't do it. If I had a fish with the colts horseshoe or a UGA bulldog, I don't know if I could live with myself! I love tattoos (I have five so far), but they hurt! A fish that has no comprehension of what is going on getting a tattoo? I would feel bad. It would be like tattooing your dog!

I just felt like rambling and saying my piece... and woah, I have never seen the dyed ADFs before! Or at least I'm guessing they were dyed, maybe more GMOs. They were bright colors, like the glofish, and apparently you can get ones with zebra stripes and all of that, so I guess that would have to be a tattoo?

Edit: took out "more power to you." I don't think it was proper for me to have shown any support to this.

Oh my gosh! IMO... That's terrible! I can't believe people can be so... superficial (for lack of a better word) that they need to brand their favorite sport's team right smack on the side of a fish.

That's just.. wow.
More importantly, THE FISH MUST BE IN SO MUCH PAIN!
Aw :( That's not good.

I know!! I was just in shock and was considering a future purchase of some fish/plants until I came across that tank. And after that conversation? I don't know if I could park my car out front!
I googled what procedure they do to get the tattoos on the fish and I was not pleased. I mean, when I go into a shop to get a tattoo, I don't get suffocated and put in a cage and have someone putting a needle the equivalence to a pencil in me!
Tattoos are for people, not animals.

Oh my! Yikes! I totally agree.
With humans, people have the choice whether or not they wish to be tattooed with permanent ink. They have the choice to take into consideration the pain that may be endured during the process.

With these poor fish, because a person may think it 'cool' to have a word or design branded across them for their personal enjoyment- they are forced to suffer some fairly harsh pain and they don't even understand why someone has done it to them.

In my opinion, fish are cool enough with their own natural patterns! There are some pretty cool and colorful fish like Platies or male Guppies, or even Neon and Cardinal Tetras that are certainly nice looking enough without any fake heart or tiger designs tattooed on them.

So, that's why I totally agree that tattoos are certainly to be used only on humans, and never animals!

Yeah, Yoyos have really cool patterns! See, there are tons of fish that can look awesome naturally.

Especially Saltwater! Did you see any SW fish tattooed? Because that would be even more rediculous. Most SW fish have really bright and interesting colors and patterns to begin with, I can't imagine hearts or words all over em.

Oh, really, your welcome!!! :D
And no, I don't know for sure about them tatooing saltwater, I was only asking.

I would not shop there. But I would go in one more time, and tell them why you will be spending your money somewhere else from now on.

That's what I'm planning on doing. They are a fish and puppies shop. So, I bet the tons of kids that go in there beg their parents to have one of the tattooed mollies. It is probably a booming business for them. But, at least they will know one person is very unpleased with it and with how much I buy for my babies, they won't a penny.

I... I wonder how they do this?!?!?!?! What- clamp them down in 1 in. deep water and stick a needle in the fish? The tattoo would probably shorten the life of the fish, not to mention it could quickly kill it! I never heard of this! Tattooing a FISH?!? If your fish is orange and your friend says "Ewww! I hate orange! You should have bought a white fish - like mine." So, then you say "Oh!, well, I can fix that." And you call up the fish store- "Hi, I would like to place an appointment."... No, I don't have a dog that needs grooming." ...."No, I would like to place an appointment for my fish."..." No, he's not sick. I would like to have his color changed"... "White".... "Wait- with two black stripes right down the middle- like a sports car."... "Oh, well, right now he's orange."... "Okay, thanks! I'll drop him off at 4:00 and be back at 6:00!" ... "Yup. See you soon!"
Ugh. Ridiculous.

Yes, it really is. And I hope no one brings in a fish to get tattooed. If anyone brought a needle near one of my babies, I would kill them... just saying.
I agree. Take the needle from them and stick it right through them. Not to sound stupid or anything, but I would do that. I wouldn't be surprised if this post were taken off with all that other stuff I had in my head at that moment to say.... ;)

Back
Top Bottom