That is one big fish...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
WOW! Sad thing is, they are not even going to eat him :( Seems like the least you could do, when he finally does get caught.

"After getting an accurate weight of the fish, the Texas Freshwater Fisheries Center in Athens transported the fish back to the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department facility to be put on display."

Not sure, but I think they meant alive in a tank, not mounted on the wall. The pic shows the guys hoisting him over a holding tank.

Since everything is bigger in Texas, hopefully they have a big enough tank for that big 'ol catfish!

Thats my local TV channel. WFTV Channel 9 Orlando.

How did you find your way onto my local news site for news from your neck of the woods?

I'm confused :?

I think they meant alive in a tank, not mounted on the wall.

Well... That is certainly better than stuffing him and not eating him. That would seem sort of disrespectful :D

drinkingbird said:
It's amazing how a fish can get that big being a bottom feeder!

This is a misconseption, large cats are often voracious predators. My channel cat took down a dozen rosies in on feeding. It was unbelieveable.

If it is still alive I am not sure that I would want to be putting my hand in its mouth.

Halibuts are HUGE and they're bottom feeders, aren't they? Anyway, that catfish is tooooo big to look appetizing. It looks prehistoric!

From somebody who had the distinct pleasure of hooking and landing a 78 pound 'mud cat' a few years ago....I can let you all know that bringing in one of those is much like dragging in a boulder that tries, on occasion, to drag you the OTHER way! Oh...I landed mine...weighed it....and released it.

Once catfish get to be that size they don't taste particularly good, by the way.

When you start thinking about BIG catfish then our local (USA) types are mere midgets....THESE are big catfish!!!

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/science/12/01/cambodia.catfish.ap/

http://www.ranchoxingu.com.br/enrecord.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom