The Big, Huge, AA meeting/party/fragfest? (Freek & RR69?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snapcrackler

Aquarium Advice Addict
What would all of you guys think about having a big humongo-AA meeting/party somewhere in the USA sometime this year or next year?

Almost everyone takes vacations... maybe many of us could plan this year's or next year's vacation to meet at a hotel, reserve a ballroom for an evening or two, and just hang out the rest of the time.

It would be a full blown fly-or-drive-in vacation for most and would require some saving and planning too but I for one think it would be a monumental experience. Not to mention a heck of a party. LOL!

If we're all going to take a vacation within the next year or so, why not meet up with our friends from AA!

Just a thought... but just think if we got the ball rolling 8O ...... plane tickets get pretty cheap when you book way in advance!!

Of course this would be subject to FishFreek/Reefrunner69 approval. :D

I wouldn't mind getting to know fellow AA members. There could also be smaller regional meetings, like what BrianNY did last month.
Anyone in the Clagary area is more than welcome to come over for tea and home made baked goods :D

Oh and if people in the NY/Long Island area are getting together in May or July, let me know, because I will be around parts of those months while planning my wedding. :lol:

Just my thoughts:

Small regional get-togethers are probably the best way to go. Large ones like you're mentioning are so hard to plan and so expensive its not really worth it. A club I used to belong to held a big "convention" (for lack of a better word). It took about 8 months of planning. Our club had to reserve a set amount of rooms at a hotel so everyone would be near each other (the hotel management didn't want people roaming the halls) and the club had to agree to pay for any rooms not reserved by the cutoff date (about a month before the event). They also rented a ballroom big enough for about 50-60 tables so people could set stuff up and buy-sell-trade. The hotel gave us a slight discount since it was in conjunction with the "convention", otherwise it would have cost $10,000 for the ballroom alone!! 8O

Isn't there a national conference in Chicago every year for cichlids or something? Making name tags and plannng a meeting at an event like that is a much better way to go IMHO.

I was already thinking of something here at my house in late summer. NOthing grand just a cookout/gathering for the weekend.

I like the "lets met at a convention" idea, it just happens that a few major conventions happen in Chicago which is pretty close to me.

Anytime Moose!
Seriously Calgarians--It would be great to get together with everyone. I will post in the Canada forum too.

are there no kids allowed :cry:

i really want to meet some people on this site i go to mass and vermont and florida and nm every year so i can meet there

If your old enough to drive then your welcome AFAIK. If you cant drive yourself then if you can talk your parents into going then your welcome aswell.

That would be a really cool idea! Pretty hard to plan I assume, but would be lots of fun too! I could see us all now, gathered around, talking nothing but fish. Haha.

2003 grad of Linganore High School! That's too funny!

Oh man, what tales do I have of this place....too many! I'm sure you have some of your own...nobody leaves that place without a couple of stories... Let me know if you have any questions about the place or any funny stories to tell, would love to hear them... :wink:

Hey mrmarine, I never knew you were also 14! i thought you were older. WOW!! Yeah, i want to go to that gathering. Problem is, i don't get my permit until december. And then i still need my parents with me.

Hey Menagerie, let us know the dates you'll be on LI. Perhaps you can come to a GCAS meeting with some us NYers :)

Here's a suggestion for a gala meeting.... Try and tie it in with an event like the ACA. You can get a hospitality suite and ask for minor contibutions to offset the minimal cost of the room.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom