The floppy is dead!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks like CD's are next on the list to become a Dino...

next thing you know after the 25GB blu rays will be the 9TB (yes, terabyte) nanoantennae discs (no fibs)

The story is dead on . I have two boxes of them filled with pictures and other data that I was always going to swap to CD's , then to one of my flash drives , never got around to it and now I have two boxes of lost data .

lol its been dead for years lol.

Looks like CD's are next on the list to become a Dino...
if it wasnt for music those too would be dead already also. with more and more options for plug in mp3 players its just a matter of time.

The thing is that tecnology(sp) is moving so fast that alot of people are going to look back at this period in history as the era of lost memories.

we are moving a lot faster then before but not so fast that people cant catch up. i mean really if you have data on a floppy disk somewhere still is it really that important lol.....

Maybe not to you, but what about 3 G down the road?

i really think blu ray will be the last media real media disk though. its true things are changing at a faster speed then before. though with the memory cards holding more and more data and more networked everything is becoming i really think we will be streaming a lot from the comps onto the tv and such.

dont know whats coming 3 generations from now but its not like they switch yearly. it takes a good few years before things start to take off. how long has blu ray been out? i still stand by my point if you cant find some time to get data off a cd in the next 5 years or so before they stop making them its prob not that important after all. one of those things you like knowing you have just not as important to take the time out and get it on a new media.

I havent used a floppy since like 3rd grade. Fourtanatly i am just starting my life and i only have like 12 DVDs, unlike my parents which are stocking to there guns as they have a TON of DVDs. The thing is it is expensive to transfer things like that over is quite expeensve once you have it all racked up, Now i am saving for my new laptop and i am gonna be doing some serious saving after that. I have all these plans but i have 2 lizard tanks to build and a fish tank to finish before i can do anything. And that is like 4 to 500 dollars right there.

well data and something like vid is a little different. to get the data off the dvd or even the vid is easy and cheap. as long as you have a dvd player in your comp it can be done. you can take all those dvds and rip them all to the hard drive. i know a ton of people who buy a dvd pop it in the comp then put the dvd away never to use it again. they have their whole tv set up hooked up to a pc where they can watch the movies off them. this is where i think we are heading. look at the blu ray players the can stream netflix. you have the wii and 360 streaming netflix maybe next gen it can be anything.

it really doesnt cost much $50 or so other then time to get even vid off tapes to put on the comp or dvd.

Well this is 1 of the things i plan on doing with my new set up when i get my laptop as i plan on getting a hard drive with it so i can rip all the movies i want to it. The only thing is you also are ripping the quality off the DVD so ripping form a blu ray disk ana regular DVD does have its differences. Also if you rip them into the right format onto a hard drive you can watch it on a modded 360.

thats why vid vs data is different though its not like you would rip a dvd then burn it to blu ray. the only thing i really see done like this would be home movies. pulling off tap or dvd to update the format. you can get 2tb hard drives for 120-150 for external drives. thats 200+ dual layer dvds.

thats why vid vs data is different though its not like you would rip a dvd then burn it to blu ray. the only thing i really see done like this would be home movies. pulling off tap or dvd to update the format. you can get 2tb hard drives for 120-150 for external drives.

Ya, easily. The thing is i have a friend that uses his hard drive regularly and is now having to delete things off slowly as he is out of room as i want to start large. The thing is i imagine it be streaming for almost everything soon. And if you want to buy something or rent something you download it on a digital purse if you will to go to a place and are granted a download and take it home and put it on your computer. And if you rent it it times out after a amount of time and then you dont have to worry about late fees. I mean i could be dreaming but i could so see this. I mean look at the majority with Iphones which actually already have download capabilities similar to that.

I'm talking about photos of your kids, friends, fish,,etc that you collect on your computer and save it to some sort of media that will go dead in 5-10 years. These memories will be lost to time in short order.

I'm talking about photos of your kids, friends, fish,,etc that you collect on your computer and save it to some sort of media that will go dead in 5-10 years. These memories will be lost to time in short order.

Are you kidding, no time at all. ESPECIALLY with how busy/lazy people are today.

even as it goes "dead" i mean i am sure it wont be easy in 5 years but i am sure you can still find a way to get the info off floppies. maybe the true place things to get "lost" are those unpopular media like those jazz drives the author was talking about. maybe one of these flash media that really isnt used much now so will be even harder to find a way to get it off. though there will always be a will there will be a way. there is always those tech people who always seems to have that super old part..... i might even be able to find a 5 1/2 drive around here if not i have a few friends i am sure i can get one.

i just dont see it. again ill point out if you look at them every few years you will know that media iwll be on its last legs. it really isnt too hard to see even for non techy people. more data like that is lost to fires theft losing it or the media breaking down/comp crashing by far.

Back
Top Bottom