The guilt is overwhelming!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bosk1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I'm sitting here eating my dinner as I'm browsing the site... Just soaking up as much info. as I can while my tank is cycling... Dreaming of having cute, scaly little friend of my own in my big glass box... When suddenly it hits me...

I'M EATING SUSHI! 8O

That is pretty funny. I sometimes wonder how I can still eat fish when I try to keep several of them alive in two glass boxes. An interesting paradox. LOL.

lol. I sort of wonder why I eat meat in general. I guess it's because my tastebuds tell me that I like to eat meat and if something was awful for us we would have evolved so that we would think that it tastes bad (I know that there's always the odd person, but we all have the same basic sensors so I'm going with the exception that proves the rule) I like meat. It tastes good. Especially steak. I tried being a vegitarian once. It lasted 2 days before I gave in. Besides, eating tuna prevents heart attacks, strokes, lowers cholestoral, and makes you overall, healthier. And salmon is one of the 10 best things for you. (according to a health magazine) :| but that's odd. Maybe I'll try to gradually cut down on meat. (If you want to become a vegitarian then just google factory farms. You'll never eat meat again)

I grew up on a small farm. We grew our own vegetebales and some fruits. We canned the fruits and veggies for winter time. We had chickens and gathered the eggs every day. And my Grandma raised cows and butchered a steer every year or so.
Meat is good for you... Eggs are one of the most complete forms of protein you can get! True Vegans and some vegetarians have to take Vitamine B12 i think (Becuase it's only found in meat) which is very important.. and they have to combine different protein sources to get all the essential amino acids.
Just some uh.. food for thought. :roll:

I go to the LFS and then straight to a seafood resturant all that time. Here's how I tend to look at the whole eating meat thing:

I wouldn't eat it if I had to kill the animal, unless I was in a survival situation, especially because there are a lot of different food options other than meat. However, even though I stopped eating meat the meat processing plants will keep operating because there is a demand for meat. So for me, the meat is already prepared, the animal died and in a very short amount of time if the meat isn't eaten it will spoil and go to waste meaning an animal was killed for no reason at all.

What about wild caught fish for our aquariums? Or fish that grow to such sizes that they should never be kept in a home? I think those are the bigger issues. At least most meats are farmed for the purpose of eating and the population is under control. Besides, it's in our nature to eat other animals.

That is funny.

Don't feel too bad...many species of catfish, tilapia, and gouramis are caught or raised for human consumption. People also eat rabbit and guinea pigs are considered a delicacy in South America. :wink:

Personally, I love tamarind-seasoned whole tilapia - grilled while wrapped in a banana leaf to keep it moist. Yum!

Well, my thinking on this is that, yes...we get weepy and sentimental thinking about cows, pigs, chickens, etc. being killed to feed us, but we are ominivores, meaning that the human body MUST have both animal protein and vegetable matter to survive. I know that in today's society we are supposed to be "progressive" enough to come up with the animal protein out of a lab (vitamin pills and such) without having to kill anything, but this is unrealistic. Any doctor or pharmacist will tell you that vitamin supplements are not processed the same or as effectively as nutrients from food. So, we were meant by nature to eat animals (just look at our teeth!). I try not to think about it too much, I just know that I'm following what nature intended.

I try not to get into the debate. Too easy to have it get heated rather quickly. I eat just as was intended for us to do. If I like the taste of a food I will eat it, if I don't I won't. I look at it this way, even in a fish tank, fish will eat fish. The circle of life is what it is. :)

This is a great topic - I'll move it over to the Lounge.

I personally have no problem eating fish, but I have more trouble cleaning caught fish now than I used to. :|

AshleyNicole said:
True Vegans and some vegetarians have to take Vitamine B12 i think (Becuase it's only found in meat) which is very important..

I think you mean meat, dairy, and eggs. So vegetarians are fine :) I was a vegetarian for 8 years. I grew up around ranchers, and my grandparents had a cattle ranch for 40 years.

Legacy said:
I go to the LFS and then straight to a seafood resturant all that time. Here's how I tend to look at the whole eating meat thing:

I wouldn't eat it if I had to kill the animal, unless I was in a survival situation, especially because there are a lot of different food options other than meat. However, even though I stopped eating meat the meat processing plants will keep operating because there is a demand for meat. So for me, the meat is already prepared, the animal died and in a very short amount of time if the meat isn't eaten it will spoil and go to waste meaning an animal was killed for no reason at all.

This doesn't make a lot of sense to me. If you and others stopped eating meat the demand, and thus profit would decrease. Then less animals would be reared for food and less would go to slaughter for human consumption. This would also affect land use. You're pretty directly involved in the slaughter since you're money demands it. Just because your plastic wrapped meat scarcely resembles an animal doesn't mean it wasn't one and that you don't play a huge part, so don't kid yourself, heh.

Rather than stop eating meat I think it's more important to try to get organic meat, which is what all food was throughout history until recent days. Keep the hormone and crap out of your system and out of the environment. Then for the animals sake, don't buy from companies who don't practice humane ranching, slaughter, etc.

BTW, sushi makes life worth living! Mmm :)

I catch fish at my cottage all the time.... But Only if they are REALLY REALLY REALLY good do i keep them. I still have so much guilt and trouble clubbing the fish when i go to clean it. But i think "i'm GOING to eat it" its the more humane thing to do before you clean the fish. My Friends folks don't bother clubbing it. Its horrible and i cant watch it when the clean it. Poor fish.

I haven't been fishing in YEARS but my dad is going to take me out with him one of these days. I am really excited because I used to love fishing when I was young. I think so long as I can remember that I wont be bringing the salmon home with me to keep as my pet, I will be fine. :wink: I would have a hard time raising fish as food though, having to feed them and take care of them every day. Which reminds me of when I lived on a small ranch when I was younger, and we had probably 20 chickens or more. My mom and dad decided to see what the meat was like. We do eat meat, but my dad said he would NEVER kill another chicken himself again. They were our pets, and you should never eat your pets. :D

Personally, I love tamarind-seasoned whole tilapia - grilled while wrapped in a banana leaf to keep it moist. Yum!

Qtoffer, where do you get banana leafs like that??? This recipe sounds intriguing...I cook tilapia frequently. Can you PM me the details?

QTOFFER said:

That sounds incredibly good! Are you by any chance Puerto Rican? It sounds like it could be a Puerto Rican dish.

I look at it as I'm not keeping tilapia, halibut, salmon, etc. I'm not about to eat a parrot fish, or a pleco, anything like that.
I definatly couldn't eat an animal I knew, or animals I have owned (no bunnies on my plate).

bosk1 said:
QTOFFER said:

That sounds incredibly good! Are you by any chance Puerto Rican? It sounds like it could be a Puerto Rican dish.

It's actually Malaysian/Thai.

I have some friends who used to have 2 cows. Then one day the husband decided to kill them because he wanted to see what the meat was like (same thing like the chicken only he killed both cows that they had) When he cooked the steak for dinner he asked her whether she wanted Steve or Fred. She ran off crying and has been a vegitarian ever since. My uncle went to a country (a long time ago, I don't remember which one) and went to a fish market there where the fish were still living and you'd choose the one you wanted and they'd take it and kill it so you'd have the freshest meat possible. He brought containers and asked them if they could keep the fish alive in the containers (of course there was water in them) and took a couple home for his aquarium. They were beautiful tropical fish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom