The Handshake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marconis

Aquarium Advice Addict
Yesterday, I got to class early and the class before mine was still emptying out. When I sat down a guy started talking to me about the class, stating that he had taken it several years ago. He continued on to ask me about some of the professors in the major, since he used to be a biology major but switched. He was very kind, and at the end of the conversation asked my name. Upon exchanging names, he put out his hand for me to shake and wish me good luck in my endeavors. So, I went in with an extended hand, ready to squeeze firmly upon locking. Instead, my hand went into a limp set of digits, which continued on to go every which way...up, down, lock, pop, release. Come on, seriously?

With something like this, I have a huge issue. I take handshakes to be one of the most important aspects of human interaction. I get highly insulted when a new person is not quick to extend their hand, or when someone does not put a hand out upon saying goodbye. There are many exceptions to this, obviously, but we won't get into those here. To me, though, I believe it's more than common courtesy, but mandatory courtesy. It reminds of the time I did a large Craigslist deal with a guy (through multiple dealings), and when he finally got that big 72g, he was about to run off without even shaking my hand or saying thank you. Perhaps I am being stupid, but, yeah...handshakes are important to me.

What I am getting at, is, that I think it is rather silly to give an intricate handshake to someone you have never met. It happens to me ALL the time. It happened to me when I first started working, and it happens to me when I say hello or goodbye to a lot of new people. How, tell me how, one is supposed to know that the other person will give anything but a standard handshake? There is nothing more awkward than getting ready to squeeze tightly and all of a sudden the person starts doing some hip-hop handshake. Why do they do this? To me, it is bad taste. I think in a professional environment, this would never happen. If it did, I'd be pretty weirded out.

So, yeah. It just baffles my mind why people don't just give normal handshakes. I don't see the point of visibly noticing the awkwardness they have created as the other person smiles and looks at the person, saying to himself, "What am I supposed to do here?", all the while fumbling his hands in the other dudes as if they were making love.

"Oh he wanted me to go left there, ah! Now right...now he's gonna do some snap...okay, ah, right...yeah man, okay. *POP* Alright nice meeting ya!"

Perhaps this thread is completely pointless, but I have not gotten out of bed and have heaps of work to do today, so this is how I am avoiding it for now.

THOUGHTS

I for one believe a handshake should be practiced. I have seen many people who were just looked over in job hiring because they didn't have the courtesy to shake hands with the Exec. or with me the sous. Its something that is taught in communication courses in college, along side the resumes and cover letters. There are just some things in America that show just who you are and a handshake is one of them. I hate limpy handshakes. I am of course a woman and I don't have a limpy handshake. It shows I am strong and in charge, or a leader, whatever situation your in a good handshake makes your appearance stronger.

I for one believe a handshake should be practiced. I have seen many people who were just looked over in job hiring because they didn't have the courtesy to shake hands with the Exec. or with me the sous. Its something that is taught in communication courses in college, along side the resumes and cover letters. There are just some things in America that show just who you are and a handshake is one of them. I hate limpy handshakes. I am of course a woman and I don't have a limpy handshake. It shows I am strong and in charge, or a leader, whatever situation your in a good handshake makes your appearance stronger.

In the case of a woman I find it difficult to know how to properly approach it. Some like a firm shake, others like it soft. I always go for soft and the middle of the hand as opposed to the entire palm.

I too hate limpy handshakes, especially from men. Sometimes though I misalign my hand and it goes in weak...that's the worst!

I grew up in a small town in western Oklahoma that is oilfield and farming and I was always raised that when you meet someone new or someone older than you you great them with a handshake and after your conversation you thank them and leave with a hand shake. I now live in the city due to school and my job and when I go to shake someones hand they get that look like they think I'm going to pull a knife or try to rob them or something. It is so different and people are starting to loose the importance of a handshake in the world.

A proper handshake is very important for employement as well. When interviewing prospective employees, that is one of the first things I look at. I've had some come in for entry level positions that wanted to do the 'ghetto shake' as I like to call it. Needless to say, they did not get an offer of employment. I've had some squeeze pretty hard though. I'm a big guy, and pretty strong (IMO), but they just went overboard. Firm, not limp, not too tight.

mfdrookie516 said:
A proper handshake is very important for employement as well. When interviewing prospective employees, that is one of the first things I look at. I've had some come in for entry level positions that wanted to do the 'ghetto shake' as I like to call it. Needless to say, they did not get an offer of employment. I've had some squeeze pretty hard though. I'm a big guy, and pretty strong (IMO), but they just went overboard. Firm, not limp, not too tight.

Haha the ghetto shake, that's the worse! I've had that happen before, like dude first I'm a woman, second your applying for a job and I'm your supervisor! I do not do ghetto shakes. Thanks for applying though. It shows character. If you give a handshake you get much more respect, and if you give a good firm handshake it shows you have more respect because you do it often.

My brother and my wife both do a lot of hiring and they base most of that decision on the hand shake. It is so wierd to get the "limp digits". I'm a big guy so I pull back a little but you can tell very quickly how much pressure to use. So, if in need of a job remember to shake firmly.

Also a side note, I met ray childress (old oiler football guy), did limp dead hand to me. Lost all respect. Met president bush when he was governor, alomst crushed me. So I would always say, at least he can shake a hand.

I went to a new dr the other day and he did the "fist bump". So I gotta find a new dr.

It was wierd. Didn't know if I should blow it up or blow the gun tip. Its out of control.

Bige said:
I went to a new dr the other day and he did the "fist bump". So I gotta find a new dr.

When your doctor is trying to act like a teen, yeah, I'd switch.

I am a teen, and with my friends we do like the fist bump, but don't shake hands. It'd be weird, at least to them.

I do however shake the hands of people that are older than me. In like second grade they taught us how to shake a hand. I don't remember exactly what they taught us, but I remember the gist of it.

Any Dr. that gave me a fist bump would be bumped right to the bottom of my list of approval. That's just weird, man.

It would be different if you have known the doctor for a loooonnnnnggggg time and if you was a younger adult I might be ok but on the first visit I don't think so.

Haha the ghetto shake, that's the worse! I've had that happen before, like dude first I'm a woman, second your applying for a job and I'm your supervisor! I do not do ghetto shakes. Thanks for applying though. It shows character. If you give a handshake you get much more respect, and if you give a good firm handshake it shows you have more respect because you do it often.

oh they only do that handshake in the ghetto?

No.... I never said IN the ghetto shake. I know plenty of teenagers back in my little town that wanted to be ghetto. I still called it the ghetto shake though.

Back
Top Bottom