This is a tad scary!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Being a hypochondriac I should've known better than to read this...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Uh I have cleaned hundreds of tanks with cuts and open wounds and have swallowed tank water. I think it's not as big of a deal as they make it sound.

They found a west Nile mosquito right down the street from me... i ain't giving the fish up!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

We got west Nile by me, too. I only found this article from googling for what disease my false julii had. Even doing a "-humans", I still got human diseases from fish...

(Friend of Bill W., One day at a time)

Absurd article. Surprise! Bacteria that is all over everything and can cause any of those problems such as pneumonia, food born illness, staph infections, styes, boils, blah blah blah are all over everything already. Just by having a fish tank isnt going to expose you to anything new that isnt already around you in abundance.

The hilarious thing which is the only important fish disease that we see that can transfer to humans -tb- isnt on the list.

Absurd article. Surprise! Bacteria that is all over everything and can cause any of those problems such as pneumonia, food born illness, staph infections, styes, boils, blah blah blah are all over everything already. Just by having a fish tank isnt going to expose you to anything new that isnt already around you in abundance.

The hilarious thing which is the only important fish disease that we see that can transfer to humans -tb- isnt on the list.

As a hypochondriac this comforts me.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The headline really should be "antibiotic overuse in fish leads to resistant bacteria" ... Not such an emphasis on fish are dangerous to humans.

From what I understand every human has some staph and pseudomonas active in or on their bodies. We get an infection from one when it gets out of hand.

For instance pseudomonas is associated with pneumonia, sinus infections, and ear infections. Not because the bacteria was gone and then arrived, but because something upset the balance of bacterias, yeasts, and whatnot living in happy harmony ... and the pseudomonas got out of control.

Staph too is ever present. MRSA is a different story but some types of staph are always there and you only get sick from it if you get all out of whack.

As we fish people know ... It's all about the beneficial bacteria!

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Back
Top Bottom