This is concerning.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keith A.

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ship leaking oil near Great Barrier Reef

April 4, 2010 12:40 p.m. EDT

story.reef.afp.gi.file.jpg

The Great Barrier Reef is the world's largest coral reef system.

STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Shen Neng 1 ran aground Saturday evening off coast of Queensland
  • Vessel's 950 tons of oil is leaking into sea near Great Barrier Reef
  • Reef spans over 2,600 km (1,600 miles) off the coast of Queensland

(CNN) -- A Chinese-registered ship carrying coal that ran aground off the coast of northeast Australia was leaking oil Sunday near the Great Barrier Reef -- the world's largest coral reef system.
The ship, called Shen Neng 1, was carrying about 65,000 tons of coal to China from the port of Gladstone when it ran aground at about 5:10 p.m. Saturday, according to a Queensland state government statement.
The vessel was carrying about 950 tons of oil on board and was leaking into the surrounding waters early Sunday, according to the statement.
Maritime Safety Queensland has responded to the scene to assess the spill and plan a clean-up. A light aircraft was expected to spray a chemical solution on the oil.
Officials were also trying to determine the best way to remove the carrier.
The Great Barrier Reef is made up of roughly 3,000 individual reefs and 900 island spanning over 2,600 km (1,600 miles) off the coast of Queensland in the Coral Sea.
Queensland State Premier Anna Bligh strongly criticized the spill.
"This is the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park, and any oil is unacceptable," she said.
She added, "I suspect that this incident will now give even sharper focus on whether or not permanent pilots (to guide ships) should be in this area."

Yeah, that's really terrible. They shouldn't let any ships within 100 miles of the barrier reef. Just for precautions. ;)

They dont, it was apparently taking a illegal shortcut. It is in risk of splitting in too. What humans do to the earth. :censor::vamp:

This upsets me. I plan on going to college for Marine Science, and Environmental Science. By the time I finish there will be no GBR left for me to study :(

That is terrible. I hate when people do something illegal at the risk of lives (humans or animals) just to make a buck.

@Ilikefishes: Just forwarning you, make SURE that's what you want to do when you grow up. Do some internships, and find out what the job is like before going to college for it. The only reason I say that is because there is a limited number of jobs you can do with either of those majors. If you decide you don't want to do them, then you're out of luck. Take it from someone who switched from Biology to Chemistry for that exact reason. I'm not saying that what those people do isn't cool, I'm just sayin make sure you want to do it before you commit to anything. :cool:

They were talking about fining the captain and/or the shiping company one million bucks for the damage. I just hope it doesn't do too much damage to the ecosystem there.

1mil, thats cheap for killing the GBR and damaging australian federal wildlife land.

I say shoot em, make an example...eye for an eye and people will start engaging their brains before their greed.

I'm just about ready to kill these foreigners that have ships and oil rigs that keep leaking in Australian waters! It's driving me insane and this over our greatest natural wonder and our government keeps stuffing around doing nothing. Makes me want to grab them by the neck and shake them very hard. :(

I agree. This makes me even angrier than the whole japanese/chinese whalers ordeal that still continues..

nothing that I have seen, might be "old" news the way the media works.

I cant believe they are fining them 1 million, I think a good 100 billion will put a hurt on the communist super power. It might just be me but I think examples need to be made, and a stand must be taken. These oil companies think they own everything even our wallets and now the GBR. Take the captain and crew, toss em way out into the outback and tell them to find their way home.

Agreed , I have never heard of anyone believing that Australian people keeping Kangaroos as pets . That thought has never entered my mind . What makes you ask this ? Not arguing mind you , just curious . Have you been asked if you do by an American ?

Back
Top Bottom