Thoughts On Aquarium TV Shows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ianeberle

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay, so I'm sure everybody has seen commercials for the plethora of aquarium TV shows that are starting to come on TV. I have never watched one until the other day and now I want to boycott these shows... I don't remember which one I watched, but it was on the Travel Channel.

Anyway, the episode I saw was a famous basketball player who wanted an aquarium for his living room. He called this company that builds aquariums and maintains them (which is the company that owns the show too). They came to his house, gave him and estimate, and did all the work for him. All he did was write them a big check and looked at his tank like a picture frame on the wall... He didn't know anything about the fish, he didn't clean the tank, he didn't know what to do when something went wrong - he just called up this company and paid them more money to fix it so he could have a "cool aquarium to look at".

I'm sure there's lots of people out there who pay to have their tanks maintained, but I'm personally against it. Fish are pets, not displays. Yes, you can make the tank look beautiful and it definitely adds something to your house, but they are PETS. If you want to buy fish, research what they are, set up the tank yourself, and do it yourself.

The problem I had with the show is that they were giving information that I feel is false or not recommended. For example, they recommended getting plastic corals and reefs for a saltwater tank because it's cheaper, you don't need heavy lights and it's easier to maintain. Saltwater fish NEED live rock, live sand, live corals, lots of light, etc in order to survive. You can't build a thriving community with plastic rock, plastic corals, and play sand. Nor can you make an aquascape with plastic plants.

I just feel like these TV shows are going to be like all the other crap on television. When the storage auction shows became popular, everybody started going to yard sales and storage auctions. Now everybody is going to want fish, but they are most likely going to go to the local Petco, buy a 10 gallon aquarium kit, basic flake food, and 15 incompatible fish to overstock it.

I have two tanks - a 36 gallon planted community and a 10 gallon shrimp planted tank. Both are several hundred dollars worth of stuff and require maintenance every few days. They require testing the water, dosing vitamins, feeding a variety of food, maintaining CO2 levels, administering chemicals like Flourish, water changes, heaters, air stones, live plants, and LOTS of research. You can't just walk into Petco, buy the 10 gallon "kit", basic food, and fish and expect to be successful. The "kits" only come with a light (most likely incandescent), tank, and crappy filter. They don't include things that all fish need like a heater, oxygen air stone, substrate, etc.

Maybe it's just me, but I can't stand to see these ignorant fish owners. We've all seem them at the pet store... "I'll take two of those algae suckers (common pleco), two of them red ones, and six goldfish" when they have a 10 gallon tank that's supposed to be a tropical community.

What are everyone else's thoughts? Are the television networks smart by showing these programs? Not once did the people on the show mention the word RESEARCH. Personally, I think the so called "experts" needed to do a bit more research themselves because they were saying some things that just aren't true.

I'll stop ranting now and leave this open for discussion...

My only comment is that I think they should continue to air these types of shows...it'll spark people's interest in fish which is good for the overall hobby. Now the individual who's interest was sparked, well, I think they should have the common sense to do research even though that isn't always the case.

Fish do not require substrate or airstones or live coral or live rock or live sand. My betta tank contains nothing more than a filter, a light that works like a heater, substrate, and some plastic plants
You can have a fish only bare bottom saltwater tank. You can have a tank that is missing one or more of the things you said are required and still have a thriving tank.
I'm setting up a fishroom and every tank will be bare bottom with a light, a filter, and plumbing to a central sump. Nothing else except for in the shrimp/plant tanks and fry tanks.

Don't you feel it's more natural to imitate the fish's natural habitat?

Also, I'm all for getting more people into the hobby, but they need to be given a lot of information first.

Well said! I think the first one was Fish Tank Kings or something and now there's at least five or six different shows...

greetings.

with or without these "shows", we will still all be different in this hobby. some people don't do research, some people don't think things though, some people don't want to imitate the natural habitat, and some people put alot of effort into testing water conditions and use additives to alternate the values. all this show will do is introduce more people that don't know what they are doing, who will have fish die all over and THEN research and start over if they want this hobby. we are all individuals, who do things differently. not everyone will agree, that's never going to happen.

sincerely,
nereksnad.

ianeberle said:
Don't you feel it's more natural to imitate the fish's natural habitat?

Also, I'm all for getting more people into the hobby, but they need to be given a lot of information first.

More natural it may be, and I emulate that or try to in my show tanks. But these tanks are function, and function only. They are not meant to be stunning, just to serve a purpose. For the purpose they serve, bare bottom plantless tanks with a filter and a light work perfectly well. Also, what fish naturally has bubblers in it's environment? Or heaters? Or all the fancy fake decorations and plants that we put in? Or is confined they way our fish are? No fish in nature has any of those things. For goodness sakes, most aquaria we build do not include anything that is actually in the specific fishes' habitat we are trying emulate. Sure, we can put plants and driftwood and sand and gravel and all that stuff in, but it's pretty hard to get close to the real thing.

I'm sorry for going off topic, I will return to the topic of the thread now.
Tanked needs to get and account on here and hire a few hundred people off the site to stock their tanks for them

Back
Top Bottom