Tip/ Trick of the day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The actual surface area available for oxygenation and the BB on/in the substrate is a much more important factor than how many gallons a tank holds when it comes to how big of a bioload a tank can support.

IE: a 40 "show" style tank will support less life than a 40 "breeder" style.

Plug your filters and heaters (but not lights) on the same power strip. Preferably the type that has an on/off toggle. That way when you are doing a WC, you only have to press one button to shut these two water level dependent devices off. Plus, you are not unplugging anything with (sometimes wet) hands.

Never underestimate what a fish can fit in its mouth.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

If you are new to the hobby and are eyeing that nice little ten gallon, do yourself a favor and get the twenty.....

Oh heck, just cut to the chase and get the 50 gallon, you know you want it. ;)

Also for new hobbyist, contrary to popular myth, goldfish and guppies are two of the more demanding fish and are not as "easy" as is often made out to be.

If you are new to the hobby and are eyeing that nice little ten gallon, do yourself a favor and get the twenty.....

Oh heck, just cut to the chase and get the 50 gallon, you know you want it. ;)

Also for new hobbyist, contrary to popular myth, goldfish and guppies are two of the more demanding fish and are not as "easy" as is often made out to be.

As a side note bigger is better. It's easier to keep parameters in check. A common misconception with beginners is this 10 gallon will be fine to start with, when in fact anything under 20 gallons shouldn't be considered a good tank for beginners unless they are only keeping a betta or some shrimp in it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

When getting advice from friends, family, or LFS employee. Ask what type of fish they keep. If the answer is none. Well you have no need to listen further.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Keep your canister filter in a 5 gallon bucket in case of small leaks. Use a GFI receptacle for all your electrical equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Don't think you can get away with keeping tank busting fish in a small tank.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Never do a large water change right before purchasing a fish.

Keep note of tank history like when you last cleaned the filter or changed filter media or refilled co2 or when you added a new fish in

If you use Chemi-Pure, save those mesh bags. Just cut the cable tie and turn it inside out to empty and you have a good mesh bag. They are perfect for Purigen as well. ;)

If you have to leave someone else in charge of feeding your fish while you are away (especially someone who doesnt keep fish), physically show them what and how much to feed. Then when you are sure they have gotten it. Show them again.....and again.

Don't leave a note with instructions.

If you have to leave someone else in charge of feeding your fish while you are away (especially someone who doesnt keep fish), physically show them what and how much to feed. Then when you are sure they have gotten it. Show them again.....and again.

Don't leave a note with instructions.

Even better, prepare portions in a weekly pill dispenser or simply wrap them in paper, for frozen foods use tin foil..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Make sure tank is leveled. Mine wasn't and it ended up leaking.

House hold objects can help a lot when used correctly.

For example: The bottom piece of my Aquaclear 20 filter was lost (the piece that keeps it level and a specific distance from the tank). Slid a sharpie between the filter and the tank and it is now level and works fine.

For example: Two desk lamps can be used for two Par 38 bulbs on a nano reef.

Back
Top Bottom